Playing with Affinity Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing with Affinity Photo

I've had Affinity for a while now but not had a great deal of time to really get into it. I've watched some of the video tutorials and it certainly looks pretty good. And it's less than £50

Yesterday, whilst out and about, a helicopter flew across and I took a few grab shots. Of course, as I'd been shooting the local wildlife the shutter speed was still far too high so the rotors were pretty static.

"Aha", I thought, "what a fine opportunity to see what Affinity can do". So I took one of the shots and had a bit of a play, having watched the "radial blur" tutorial. Here is the result, with a "before" and "after" image.

I know it's not the best shot in the first place, but I was quite pleased with the outcome - for a first go anyway!

IMG_4374_before by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

IMG_4374_after by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Playing with Affinity Photo

That's impressive and the blur doesn't seem to affect the rest of the image

What's a bit creepy is viewing the blurred image on Flickr then immediately switching to the original gives the impression the blades have just stopped turning and it's about to fall out of the sky

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Cheers John, it's all done with layers & masks, which are all quite new to me.

Affinity looks immensely powerful although how it stacks up against PS & LR I'm not sure. I think there'll be a large learning curve but the video tutorials are really helpful. And for less than £50 I reckon it's a steal.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

thats pretty impressive and a great way to make a image more interesting - well done
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I,m impressed with that as well ,might look into getting that ,any other useful stuff on it

Comment

There are a lot of tutorials that I haven't got round to yet. I'm better at learning when I have a specific purpose such as these rotor blades. Have a look at https://vimeo.com/macaffinity
            Chris

Comment

I've just found out that the Google Nik collection is compatible with Affinity so have downloaded & installed Nik and will have to try to find some time to have a play!
              Chris

Comment

Impressive and well done

Tom

Comment

Works very well indeed, need to do the tail rotor blade as well
                  Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Working...
                  X