Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird watching Hide etiquette

Hi All,

There is a new Bird Hide opened near me, it is overlooking a former Gravel Pit acquired by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust on the old RAF Woodhall Spa.

I would like to visit shortly and have been doing a bit of 'googling' about using a hide, there appears quite a history of antagonism between 'Bird watchers' and ' Bird photographers', usually entailing noise complaints coming from the 'watchers' from what I can see.

Do people on here put their Camera onto silent mode, which on my 7D2 reduces the shutter speed from 10 to 4 fps, but that mode emits a beep upon focus, (even on A1Servo ) haven't investigated yet if that can be turned off.

Have seen complaints about both noises, Focus Beeps and Shutter noise to be fair so not sure what to do. I suppose two things need consideration, how close the hide is to the potential targets and if there are other people in the hide with you.

I just wondered how others have dealt with the experience of Hide usage?

Regards Paul

Re: Bird watching Hide etiquette

Haven't used any Wildlife Trust Hides yet but going off experiences with NT Hides it's out of control kids you need to be worried about !
    Last weekend they had the 'Easter Egg Hunt' on (or if you believe the Daily Fail/Our beloved PM the 'Egg Hunt') and the noise was unbelievable ! At one point it was empty and quiet and we actually heard a Woodpecker out in the woods . The only other hide i've used was a RSPB one at Gruinart and there was no antagonism at all . And no i don't put the shutter on silent .
    Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

I don't think there is any special etiquette in these matters. As long as one respects the other person there is usually no problem. I have not seen or noticed any aggravation in my part of the world.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I wouldn`t worry Paul , I have used a few hides both RSPB and Wildlife trust and not had any trouble . The worst I have heard is people complaining that there is no room when something special has showed up . If you like piece and quite try and go during the week or early mornings . Chances are you will meet other toggers , who generally seem quite friendly in my experiences .

Comment

as with the others ,nothing to worry about at all full burst mode as required and i'm certain my 1D3 is far louder than your 7d2 .if its a new hide it might take a while to settle down to normality ,but as nat will tell you the one thing thats never bothered me is other people .
          i do find if its a hide within easy walking distance of your car a bean bag (large) will often help , the only thing thats a problem in hides is massive tripods.

and BTW quiet often you will find thats birds are attracted to the sound of a shutter in burst mode and will often look towards the noise

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts Guys, some interesting points raised

Regards Paul

Comment

To get around Handheld / Tripod i invested in a Manfrotto Clamp......
              camera.jpg
              Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S

Comment

Thanks for that Gordon, I will have a look

Regards Paul

Comment

I use WWT hides mainly at the London Wetland Centre. The main problem is noise from children, though it doesn't appear to disturb the birds. I used to visit a hide at Lea Valley which was renamed the Bittern hide for obvious reasons. The reeds and therefore bitterns were quite close to the hide, which also hosted In Focus. At times the hide resembled a disco but amazingly the bitterns didn't seem too bothered.

I have both a 1DX and 7D II. I wouldn't worry about silent mode as the 7D II is very quiet compared to the 1DX. As Jeff says quite often the first shot attracts the attention of your subject, which can be an advantage.

I use both a tripod and bean bag. There is room in the hide I use for a tripod. The only problem with a bean bag is your camera is balanced on it so you have to keep an eye or even a hand on it. Gordon's solution looks like a good idea as you can let go and nothing moves as long as its balanced much like the Wimberley head on my tripod.

Regards,

Brian
                  http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Gordon, how do you find the Lensmaster? It is the one I have been looking at.

As for hide etiquette, I use several both Nat Trust and some wildlife centres, I use a 1DX which as Brian will no doubt verify is noisy, even in quiet mode. I have not had any problems with Bird Watchers, indeed you tend to bounce off each other and discuss what we are looking at, I also show them on the screen the birds in close up which they appreciate, indeed I often get asked if they can have a look through it.

The distractions tend to be kids and dogs in hides, some kids are quiet, but some of the younger aren't, but hey they are kids and taking an interest, so they are the future and who knows what these formative years looking at wildlife will result in later in life, you could have the next Richard Attenborough, kids often ask to have a look, I was at Tropical Birdland last week and some lad of about 5 wanted to be where I was, his dad said I was standing there but he then said he wanted to look through what I was, I told the dad if he wanted too, I was amenable, I put on live view and his dad lifted him up so he could view the birds up close, win win, kid happy, family happy and for what, a little tolerance.

I must admit when families enter and leave the hide door open I politely ask if they could close it, but explain that the reason it is there is to maintain a darkened room so the birds cannot see you.

Only once have I encountered a shusssher, and that was a photographer, but as the other 5 of us were talking I gave him a pardon, are you talking to me look? Stupid thing was the only times the kingfishers turfed up was when we were chatting, blowing his theory out of the window, and the resulting 6 cameras on motor drive didn't bother them either, and the excitement / chatter never stopped.

I use a monopod with a RRS monopod head in hides on my 500mm, it allows me to rest it up against the shelf with the foot up against the bench or my foot.
                    Last edited by TonyT; 16-04-2017, 17:49.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for your views and experiences Brian and Tony, very interesting and informative.

Regards Paul

Comment

Only once have I encountered a shusssher, and that was a photographer, but as the other 5 of us were talking I gave him a pardon, are you talking to me look? Stupid thing was the only times the kingfishers turfed up was when we were chatting, blowing his theory out of the window, and the resulting 6 cameras on motor drive didn't bother them either, and the excitement / chatter never stopped
                        Hides are either for watching or photographing the birds. If you want to have a chat then go to the pub or the local cafe.

Most of the hides at WWT Barnes have a notice by the hide " quiet, birds have ears"

Stan
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                          Gordon, how do you find the Lensmaster? It is the one I have been looking at.
                          Hi Tony ,

I find it really well made , well engineered and works exceptionally well . I looked at others , some cheaper options , some considerably more , this striked the right balance and it got some excellent write ups , good to see something British doing well abroad as well . Works well on my Manfrotto tripod and with their clamp .

Comment

The thing I find more offensive in a hide than any noise,chatting,children etc is and it usually is birdwatchers that do it ,are the people that turn up with a fully packed virtual three course meal ,then sit there consuming there food and drink usually taking up the best window in the process ,and personally the stink of cheese and onion sarnies turns my stomach .
                            I hate these types with a passion ,with rspb sites being the worst affected imho

Comment

I am not talking about Chatting about the weather, the last match etc, we were discussing what had been about that day and if anything could be expected, and we were chatting quietly and advising each other that there is an XYZ off to the left etc. the hide is a brick built item and is substantial with a noisy public foot path running behind it, none of the birds are bothered, indeed there is a family of Swans and the young come ashore and sit directly in front of the hatch that are about 2 foot from the windows, additionally the one at Calke Abbey is backed by the carpark and has cars driving within about 3 foot of it and families on picnic tables beside it.... again they are not bothered.

I do tend to take a bottle of water with me Jeff.
                              Last edited by TonyT; 16-04-2017, 21:26.
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X