File sizes don't make sense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File sizes don't make sense!

Okay, I am not even sure how to start to explain this, so bare with me!

Normally when I export an image from LR, I export as jpeg for use online or to share. The file size is around 7mb or so for a straight edit. Last night I was using Silver Efex, from LR, and when I exported, the finished image was around 700kb. I hadn't changed any of my export settings, and it only happened with files I had edited using Silver Efex. I tried importing the image into Photoshop then exporting as a jpeg from there, and I got a 70mb file. What is going on?! Any words of wisdom from anybody??

Thanks in advance,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: File sizes don't make sense!

Garry,

I think it might be the difference in the amount of data needed to define B&W as opposed to colour - far fewer tones to deal with in mono.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks for that John. That's a logical assumption, but exporting from Photoshop gives a far bigger filesize. So still a bit confused!

Comment

Do you have different file compression amounts set by default for exporting from LR as against Photoshop? You will presumably need to look in the settings for each to see.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I Haven't used Silver FX, so this is just a guess.
          Is the Lightroom export from a desaturated colour image, and still 24 bits per pixel, as opposed to the Silver FX image being fully converted to black and White and therefore only 8 bits per pixel?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
            Do you have different file compression amounts set by default for exporting from LR as against Photoshop? You will presumably need to look in the settings for each to see.
            Originally posted by scarletti View Post
            Is the Lightroom export from a desaturated colour image, and still 24 bits per pixel, as opposed to the Silver FX image being fully converted to black and White and therefore only 8 bits per pixel?
            I have no idea on either count I will check the settings and see if anything is different.

Comment

Originally posted by scarletti View Post
              Well, I don't know if this is strictly what is happening, but, having checked all settings, and checked against other images, this seems to be the most logical explanation. All seems to be working as it should anyway, despite the tiny file size. So, for now, I'll accept this as an explanation.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Okay, a little update, very much with a red face I said on this thread that I had checked all my export settings. Well, it appears that i missed one, the most obvious one too! The one that says "Resize To Fit" I had selected, and had it set to "1 Megapixel". Everything I was exporting was under a megapixel, so less than a megabyte in size. Almost a month later, I have finally solved this. How daft do I feel now then..............?

Comment

Don't worry Garry - been there, done that!
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X