Flickr image degradation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickr image degradation

Just uploaded 4 images of Peregrines to Flickr for posting on here and noticed a pretty substantial degradation of the detail, when this has happened before I've been able to partially resurrect with the Flickr editing facility but unfortunately this is disabled at the moment. Anyone else noticed a problem?

Many Thanks

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Re: Flickr image degradation

Nope working fine for me ,are you downloading at 1024 pixls,but it will always be softer on here anyway

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
      Just uploaded 4 images of Peregrines to Flickr for posting on here and noticed a pretty substantial degradation of the detail, when this has happened before I've been able to partially resurrect with the Flickr editing facility but unfortunately this is disabled at the moment. Anyone else noticed a problem?

Many Thanks

David
      Have the exact same problem with some of my images David but strangely not all of them. LIke you when it does happen I used to re-sharpen in Aviary on Flickr but not available now so I have deleted them from my Flickr stream.
      Steve ( LSINWP )
      1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

It's never happened to mine so I can only assume it's something to do with the way the photos are post processed ,as I said earlier the magical number with Flickr is to process all photos to 1024 pixels on the longest edge this ensures when uploading to Flickr that there algorithms don't alter anything ,then when downloading / copying to here again use 1024 pixels as default size .
        Unfortunately since that horrible Melissa Meyer woman took over as there CEO she set about turning it into a i.phone preference site ,and lost the cameradre that previously existed .

Comment

Jeff I just copy and paste the code on here , I don`t see any options regarding size ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
            Jeff I just copy and paste the code on here , I don`t see any options regarding size ?
            Mark the size options are on Flickr ,when you click on the download arrow it should give you different size options .as I was trying to say earlier what Flickr is trying to do is to convert everything to be viewed on a i.phone screen .so unless you use the 1024 pixels option it will download your pic to fit a i.phone screen .
            If in fact you post a bigger image it then re-sizes it to fit its own algorithm .stan recommends a even smaller size of 850 I think ? ,but that degrades the image to much in my opinion .
            I will check this through again next time I post a pic in case it's changed as Flickr tends to do without notice

update ,yes just checked it .when you download FROM flickr underneath the highlighted BB code there is a size option box .!!!!!!
            Last edited by the black fox; 01-05-2017, 13:46.

Comment

thought the Max recommended size for posting on here was supposed to be 800px ?
              Something to do with the board size?
              Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_H View Post
                thought the Max recommended size for posting on here was supposed to be 800px ?
                Something to do with the board size?
                Possibly for a direct upload Gordon but not sure?. However a link to Flickr is exactly that a link and as far as I'm aware takes up virtually no server bandwidth

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  Possibly for a direct upload Gordon but not sure?. However a link to Flickr is exactly that a link and as far as I'm aware takes up virtually no server bandwidth
                  Don't think it's to do with server bandwidth Jeff , it's the physical (pixel) size of the board , so photos (even linked ones) don't shoot of the edge of it . When constructing a board you have to limit the width so people aren't scrolling left to right all the time to read post , with photos it's best to restrict their size so as i said they don't shoot off the screen . Haven't used vBulletin but have used phpBB in the past and it was best to do it on that , also some blogs have problems with photo sizes in respect to the physical size .
                  Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Highly technical stuff Gordon ,anyway I have outlined how I do things it's up to others what they actually choose to do

Comment

Working...
                    X