Church of St Andrew, Walberswick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Church of St Andrew, Walberswick

Another shot from last year's visit to Suffolk that I've pimped up a bit. I think I could have done a bit more with the sky itself though, rather than add a vignette but I wanted to mask out the light area of sky top-left.

Again, I've included the untouched original - especially for lunarbo

Comments welcomed.

Church of St Andrew Walberswick (edit) by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Church of St Andrew Walberswick (orig) by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Church of St Andrew, Walberswick

I am not sure on that one, have you tried define in the NIKs collection, they have a filter in that that does similar but very subtly, I use it on my birds sometimes, if you do not mind I will do one of this and pop it up to show you?
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
      I am not sure on that one
      Me neither, to be 100% honest!

have you tried define in the NIKs collection
      No, I don't have PS/LR (and I'm only just working my way through Affinity) although I think that the plug-ins can be used stand-alone. Is that correct?

if you do not mind I will do one of this and pop it up to show you?
      Of course I don't mind - it would be good to see your take on it.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Hi Chris,

I've had the pleasure in looking through some of your images on Flickr. You are obviously keen on photography and if you can stretch to it I would thoroughly recommend Adobe CC which will get you LR and PS. I believe latest deals are around £8.50 to £10 per month. I know that adds up to a few pennies per year but its still the smallest amount most for us will spend a year on our hobby. Then it's off to the all the content in YouTube to get up to speed. I know others will have different software or older stand alone Adobe products bringing out the best of shots like the church need (IMHO) good tools such as Adobe CC.
        - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Thanks Tony, your comments are appreciated. I'm not against Adobe CC as such but committing to £100/year vs a £50 one-off fee before I really know what I'm after seemed a bit much.

It's not just learning the software, and let's face it, I'd have the same learning curve for PS/LR, but also knowing what I want to achieve.

These last two posts from Suffolk have really been my first attempts at some more advanced post-processing than I've done up to now with DPP and I'm certainly not about to blame the tools!

Obviously there are a lot of folks here that use PS/LR and that help & experience is not underestimated and one day I expect I'll go for Adobe CC, but for now I'll continue with Affinity and the very many online tutorials.
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
            Thanks Tony, your comments are appreciated. I'm not against Adobe CC as such but committing to £100/year vs a £50 one-off fee before I really know what I'm after seemed a bit much.

It's not just learning the software, and let's face it, I'd have the same learning curve for PS/LR, but also knowing what I want to achieve.

These last two posts from Suffolk have really been my first attempts at some more advanced post-processing than I've done up to now with DPP and I'm certainly not about to blame the tools!

Obviously there are a lot of folks here that use PS/LR and that help & experience is not underestimated and one day I expect I'll go for Adobe CC, but for now I'll continue with Affinity and the very many online tutorials.
            Totally understand. Hope you get on with Affinity.
            - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Another option is GIMP and it is free.

The latest technology news and reviews, covering computing, home entertainment systems, gadgets and more

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

No, I don't have PS/LR (and I'm only just working my way through Affinity) although I think that the plug-ins can be used stand-alone. Is that correct?
                Yes, the Nik suite can be used on it's own.

John

Comment

I do prefer the new edit but not with the vignette
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    I do prefer the new edit but not with the vignette
                    Thanks Ian, I tend to agree. I think I'll remove the vignette and have a go at adjusting the original sky itself, which is what I should have done in the first place. It's all good practice, anyway.
                    Chris

Comment

Maybe it is the colour, have you tried changing it to a black?

Comment

Thanks Tony, yes I started with black, wasn't particularly happy with it, so tried a few different shades and it ended up as shown. I'm not quite sure why I stopped there as I still wasn't completely happy with it!

I have now tried a different approach by removing the vignette and processing the original sky separately, which is what I should have done in the first place!

Church of St Andrew, Walberswick (second edit) by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                        Chris

Comment

Chris, hope you don't mind but I gave your image a tweak using camera raw which resides within PS.

All I did was add a grad filter from the top down, dropped the exposure about a stop, increased the clarity as well. I then repeated the same but dragging down from the top left corner to reduce the brightness

Unfortunately the direct upload has dropped the overall exposure and increased the blue of the sky but hopefully you can see what I was trying to show?

34009399261_79f2068b3a_c copy.jpg
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I like your last version Chris...
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Tony, yes I started with black, wasn't particularly happy with it, so tried a few different shades and it ended up as shown. I'm not quite sure why I stopped there as I still wasn't completely happy with it!

I have now tried a different approach by removing the vignette and processing the original sky separately, which is what I should have done in the first place!

Church of St Andrew, Walberswick (second edit) by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                              Nice edit
                              - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X