Church of St Andrew, Walberswick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Church of St Andrew, Walberswick

Thanks for your edit Alan, it looks good from my tablet and you've done the original proud.

Brian & Tony too - thanks for your comments. This has been a really interesting and useful learning process for me and I appreciate all comments, good or bad.

I started off planning on shooting mainly wildlife so this has been a bit of a departure but I'm thoroughly enjoying learning what is possible
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

And while we're at it...

I thought it such a great composition that a mono conversion may work:

34009399261_70db4429fc_o-Edit.jpg

Cheers,
      John

PS I haven't adjusted the verticals.

Comment

Nice one, John. You look to have made the most of the sky which is what I struggled with.

And one of the reasons I chose this particular shot was to work out how to adjust verticals
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris, it was your good image and I just had a play with it.

I did have a go at adjusting the verticals but it meant losing too much of the sides. I learned the hard way that it's always best to leave a lot more around the subject to account for any necessary straightening - or get really good with the content-aware fill tool

Cheers,
          John

Comment

I've included the untouched original - especially for lunarbo

Hello Chris, Sorry I've come late to this party and there's nothing left except empty bottles and deflated balloons!!!

Seems like others like to see the original since lots of folks have had a play. Always interesting to see others' take on a subject, it's what makes this forum great IMHO.

Glad you got the blue vignette sorted and I like the adjustments.However I wouldn't chop the headstone in the foreground though as it's a good lead in
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
              Thanks Tony, yes I started with black, wasn't particularly happy with it, so tried a few different shades and it ended up as shown. I'm not quite sure why I stopped there as I still wasn't completely happy with it!

I have now tried a different approach by removing the vignette and processing the original sky separately, which is what I should have done in the first place!

Church of St Andrew, Walberswick (second edit) by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
              that works, nice
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Bo & Ian for your comments.
                Chris

Comment

Sorry for the delay Chris, ran it through NIKS and used a couple of items to tweak the colouring then the lighten centre darken surround tools... see what you think.

Test Chris Trollen by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

test bw Chris Trollen-1 by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony, they're both really good, although I particularly like the mono.

Both shots have given me food for thought on what I might want to achieve as a finished article. Only then can I work out what I need to do in post-processing to actually get there!

Cheers.
                      Chris

Comment

In m opinion, he first one looks a bit better. The second one looks great too but the first one is my favorite out of the two. Great job!

Comment

Working...
                        X