Wells - Lots to see.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wells - Lots to see.

My better half and I stayed in Wells a few weekends ago and I got a few shots of the Cathedral and the Bishops Palace. I am sure they must have been on the forum before but not in my short time.

This one is in the Bishops Palace and I found it quite pleasing albeit an easy one to get.
    Bishop's Palace, Wells. by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

This one is in the Cathedral and was a little more work to get the ceiling as I wanted - had to sacrifice the verticals to get it all in. 'Think it works but what do others think?
    MK4_0856 by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr
    Of course, no flash for most of these indoors especially where there were tapestries or other cloths/materials that are suffering from light damage.

Not a believer but you have to admire the work and artistry of the men who constructed this edifice:
    MK4_0905 by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

As always, grateful for any comments.

StanII
    Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
    Lightroom; Photoshop

Re: Wells - Lots to see.

Nice set

Tom

Comment

Not been to Well but heard it is great for shooting the interior as you have posted

stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Begs the question "How on earth did they do that?"

Great shots that do justice to a beautiful building.

Comment

The first is well composed and a nice reflection too.
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

A nice set, Stan. Some immediate thoughts/suggestions if I may...
            I do like the first and it is a lovely reflection, but it is very tight against the bottom, a little more space would let it sit more comfortably.
            I really like the second and you have shown the glory of the length of that beautiful roof. I think you were right to leave the verticals as they were both in order to keep it all in, and it also increases the sense of it enclosing you. My only thought would be whether there could have been more texture to have been gained in the walls either through processing or more likely (because of the bright windows in the roof line) by by HDR, which would have resulted in greater contrast inside.
            Love the last, but to me it is crying out for a little nudge of a rotation to get it symmetrical.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

All what AlexR! says; plus... my sense is that if you played around with something like Nik's Details Extractor in Color Efex you could really bring out the brickwork of The Bishop's Palace...
              Cheers;
              Lee
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
              All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
              5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
              17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Excellent work, that second image is screaming out for a vertical panoramic, tilting the camera fore and aft then merging them all. superb images, and to think this was all built by a bunch of artisans without access to any modern mechanical machinery.
                I agree to what Alex says about a slight rotation on three...

I find the first one with the longer wall to the left makes on feel as if the image isn't totally vertical, which of course it is,( the reflection of the tapering tower right wall adds to the illusion) it just fools the eye, ( a bit like the Parthenon, they realised when building it that if they built the pillars vertical, they would appear to the eye to slope in, so they angled them out slightly to make them appear to the viewer as vertical when in fact they aren't.)
                Last edited by TonyT; 25-04-2017, 13:44.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks all. Been away so not had opportunity to review the comments which I am very grateful for. The rotation could have been more; will try harder next time. Interesting thoughts on the other two.

As you say, all built by hard graft and bread and beer!

StanII
                  Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
                  Lightroom; Photoshop

Comment

Really good Stan,I like the Bishops Palace shot best to be honest but still admire what you have achieved with the indoor ones

Regards Paul.

Comment

Working...
                    X