Wi Fi Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi Fi Question.

Pardon my ignorance and mock if you will but although I am pretty computer savvy, I am one of the few people on this planet who do not use a smart phone.

Apart from the home PC’s I have an i-pad which can be used around the house if within range of the router. If I’m in a hotel or café I obviously can sign in to that network but I do not have a dongle or anything else that plugs in

In the WiFi article in the last EOSmagazine it says
    “the built in WiFi of EOS cameras operates up to about 30 metres”

If I set up my ipad to my 80d using the Canon camera connect app, does this mean I will be able to operate the 80d from the ipad if I’m 30 metres away from it anywhere ? - even in a remote spot where I am not signed in to any network?

Would appreciate clarification from some patient soul out there ...

Thanks, Bo
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Wi Fi Question.

Yes, that should work. The camera itself becomes the wi-fi hot-spot to which you connect the iPad. Then use the Canon Connect app for remote operation.

I've never tried this when more than a metre or two away so let us know how you get on.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Hi Bo,

In essence yes. I have a 6D with Wi-Fi. Using the Canon Camera Connect App on my phone (you can use an IPad) I can control the camera and review images. You can even do live view focus all from the phone. I find it most useful for LE. The last LE images I posted were all taken that way. I set up the camera and then went and sat down a few metres away to take and review the images.
      - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Thanks chaps!

I have installed the camera connect app on my iphone and connected up to the 80d. It works!

I can see the value of this for reviewing photos on the larger ipad screen when I'm out and about, as well as remote usage

Need to re-read the article and check more about the camera settings on the ipad. I presume that wi-fi munches battery juice so need to ensure it is off when not in use?
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
          I presume that wi-fi munches battery juice so need to ensure it is off when not in use?
          It does indeed. If I have GPS on as well it gets really hungry.
          - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Working...
          X