Which monitor would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which monitor would you choose?

I want to buy a new monitor, and have been searching for what it is I really need when choosing. The two main things that keep coming up are the sRGB coverage and the evenness in luminosity across the screen. I have narrowed my search down to the following two units.

Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2414H

and

FlexScan EV2450

The main thing I like about the Dell is the USB 3.0 built in hub, but, the more I look at the Eizo, the more I think it is worth the extra £30. Plus it has a 5year warranty.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Which monitor would you choose?

I can't answer but as I'm considering replacing the monitor I currently use I'll be watching the replies with interest.

I'm also glad to see Eizo are still around as I have one of their monitors sitting in the corner of my office here at home. It's a 20" CRT monster that weighs nearly as much as my car. It needs a dedicated card as it has three separate colour channel connections. I bought it over thirty years ago when it was probably the best available and then it cost £2,750 so I'm glad to see prices have come down a bit

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
      I can't answer but as I'm considering replacing the monitor I currently use I'll be watching the replies with interest.

I'm also glad to see Eizo are still around as I have one of their monitors sitting in the corner of my office here at home. It's a 20" CRT monster that weighs nearly as much as my car. It needs a dedicated card as it has three separate colour channel connections. I bought it over thirty years ago when it was probably the best available and then it cost £2,750 so I'm glad to see prices have come down a bit

Cheers,
      John
      The Eizo does look to be a great unit. I realise that neither are exactly high end monitors, but I need to balance cost against usage. The fact that Wex sell the Eizo and that they have a great reputation in graphic design, gives me a bit more confidence in it. It also comes with Screen Manager Pro which looks excellent. I think I am talking myself in to this!!

They still have monitors that retail at well above what you paid for yours too! Can't see myself ever being able to justify those sorts of prices.... or being able to afford them for that matter!

Comment

I have two of the Dell U2414H monitors; had them over a year now & very happy with them. Got mine from Scan: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-d...mi-black-silve
        Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I have always been happy with Dell monitors and regard them as a reasonable balance of performance against price - currently use a pair of U2913 monitors (2560x1080) to give me plenty of desktop but thinking of replacing them with a 34" 4K to use for image work ...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
            I have always been happy with Dell monitors and regard them as a reasonable balance of performance against price - currently use a pair of U2913 monitors (2560x1080) to give me plenty of desktop but thinking of replacing them with a 34" 4K to use for image work ...
            4K certainly interests me too but I do like to have two monitors so not sure if it would be a problem having only one 4K monitor or using two at different resolutions. I'll admit I don't know enough about it ;)
            Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I have the same concerns Les - have always found that using twin monitors which have different resolutions to be a compromise at best and a nightmare at worst. I am very happy with my twin 2913 setup but that is almost totally document / text work. Only reason for now thinking of 4K is for image work. Thinking as I'm typing, I have an Intel NUC which is not being used at present so I might hang a 4K on that and keep my existing setup in place. Only problem then is finding somewhere to sit a third monitor!

Comment

I use a dell ultra sharp 2516 and saved a lot of money when bought from this company link below :looks a bit dodgy but i had a first class service and monitor was delivered withing 48 hours from ordering so maybe worth a look to see if you can save a little cash!

http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/ITClearMonitors.html

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Looks like the ITC Sales monitors are Dell factory refurbs? (or at least some are)

These two sites are pretty good for monitor reviews: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm and https://pcmonitors.info/
                  Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

Sorry guys, I missed all these replies somehow. I did check out the tft central website for reviews and found it really helpful. I eventually went for the Eizo, so hope I have not made a mistake, since you all recommend Dells!? I got it from WEX, and only got round to setting it up on Sunday. Looks amazing, and can't believe how sharp it is compared to my VGA Acer! Even going through some of my old images, they look so much sharper on the new display. I paid £253 for it, which was at the top of my budget, and looking at the itcsales website, I could have gotten a refurbed dell for a lot cheaper. That said, Eizo have a standard 5 year warranty, including the panel, so that was attractive to me. Anyway, I've paid my money and made my choice, so time will tell!

Thanks anyway for all the replies, and sorry I missed them all,

Garry

Comment

Working...
                    X