Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Barney again

Hi All,

Barney rewarded me with his Presence this morning, very early and Minus 2. He presented me with serious problems which I didn't think about until after he had gone. It was very bright and the light was coming over a tall hedge and he was lit up but flying with the shadowed hedge behind him.

I didn't think about the exposure, I needed at least 1 stop -EV, the Owl was over exposed on every shot, I was using Evaluative Metering ( which I usually do ) that was part of the problem, bearing in mind the bird is only a small part of the whole frame.

Anyway, enough of my excuses, here are a few results

33a by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

35 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

38a by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

39 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

36 by Paul Elliott, on Flickr

Regards Paul

Re: It's Barney again

Whites slightly blown out, but still very nice images Paul

Tom

Comment

If your editing these in l/r and Photoshop you should be able to drop the highlights and slightly lift the shadows in l/r then in Photoshop selectively darken down any bright spots that are left .that should even be possible in elements .no1 in particular is sharp enough for a bigger possibly 16x9 crop ,and that would then give more to work with

Comment

Nice series.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

no 3 for me

Comment

Thanks Guys, appreciate you looking, Jeff, have tried all the sliders in LR to tone down the blown out whites all in different combinations. I should have realised what the dark background would do, sadly I only got the one go at it as he then disappeared, but am sure he will be back!

Regards Paul

Comment

We have all done it Paul , and sods law it`s on something a bit special . At least it`s a lesson learnt , hopefully you and the Owl will meet again , and you will be better prepared . As I have said before it`s not all about the perfect photo , these will always be a reminder to you of the time you had with the Owl .

Comment

Thanks for looking and Mark and taking the time to comment. it's certainly been interesting, trying to guess where he will be and at what time!

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                X