DPP and my new EOS77D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPP and my new EOS77D

As some of you have read elsewhere I finally upgraded my camera (EOS550D) to a 77D. I also downloaded the recommended software - I have always used DPP and get on with it, especially was enjoying being able to use DPP4 with my 550. On processing the last images from the 550 I deleted all traces of the old software and installed the new version for my new camera. How I wish I hadn't as everytime I use it it freezes my computer totally requiring a reboot.
    So, I decided to go back and install software for the 550 again. This takes me back to the version I was using before Christmas DPP3 and seems a bit old hat now. However, if it will allow me to process those new photos and see the capabilities of my new camera what the heck.......BUT it won't even recognise them and I get a X where there should be an image.
    Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on and how I can resolve the issue? There is nothing on the Canon website and their handbooks on how to use don't offer any solutions. My laptop is windows 8.1 with an i5 thingy and can cope with photos normally.
    Thanks for reading and I look forward to any solutions offered
    Lynne

Re: DPP and my new EOS77D

I don't know what the issue is but if you could upload one of your image files to a Dropbox folder or somesuch that I am able to access then I would be more than happy to see if the DPP (ver. 4.5.10.1) that I have on this Windows 10 laptop can do anything with it.

That might at least point to whether it's something on your PC or DPP itself.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

DPP3 just won't work with images from the newer models, only DPP4. Why DPP4 freezes your computer is, I suspect, something that nobody will be able to explain as it's likely to be something very specific to your set up, maybe a conflict with some other software or hardware. They can be really difficult even for computer experts to solve. I had quite a few problems with Windows 8 versions, but hardly any since I went on to W10.
      What's an i5 thingy?
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
        What's an i5 thingy?
        Intel Core i5 processor.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

What is frustrating is that I had the ver. 4.5.10.1 and uninstalled it to make way for the newer version. It worked fine. I cannot now find it to download to reinstall it to see if it works ok.
          The OH and I think it may be about the processing capacity of my laptop - I have nearly 4gb of this available and the requirements state 2gb+ but recommends 4gb. It could be that my machine is just falling short. And I don't want a new computer. Yet.

Comment

here is a link to one of the new images https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eje0t70au...89%29.CR2?dl=0
            look forward to hearing some of your efforts at opening it!

Comment

Hopefully you can access this link where I have put a copy of the 4.5.10.1 installer.
              https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45waeted2...lDXfoqaVa?dl=0
              Chris

Comment

Thanks! Downloading now.

Comment

I've copied your RAW file and tried accessing it with DPP 4.5.10.1. It looks like I can view the file but there is a question mark overlaying the image itself and when I move the mouse over the image the rollover text for the file is "unsupported image". Double clicking to go to the edit window just shows a small image, again with the question mark.
                  Chris

Comment

Yep, that seems to be what I got when I installed the software. When I went to close down DPP the laptop froze again so needed rebooting. Is it the actual image size that is causing the problems do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                      Yep, that seems to be what I got when I installed the software. When I went to close down DPP the laptop froze again so needed rebooting. Is it the actual image size that is causing the problems do you think?
                      I can open & close DPP without any untoward issues here. I doubt it's the size - the file is around the same size as the RAW files I get from my 750D. And this link certainly seems to indicate that you need 4.6.10 for it to support the 77D

http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-digi...i-and-eos-77d/
                      Chris

Comment

Hi Lynne
                        I've just downloaded your image and i can't open it in DPP (version 3)just get a cross through a grey image?all the info is there but no image.

Paul
                        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Sorry just an update -I can open the raw file in Photoshop elements 15 without a problem.
                          Paul

20170426garden-(9) by Paul Linton, on Flickr
                          Last edited by paul linton; 27-04-2017, 13:33.
                          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

The current issue of EOS magazine (April-June 2017) has a full page on DPP for EOS cameras old and new. Here you will discover that the EOS 77D and 800D are only compatible with DPP version 4.6.10

The good news is that this version is backward compatible with all EOS digital cameras except the EOS-1D, 1Ds, 10D, 300D, D30 and D60.

DPP 4.6.10 is a free update. Go to www.canon.co.uk/support and enter EOS 77D or EOS 800D.

EOS magazine keeps you up-to-date with all EOS firmware and software, plus much more. By subscribing, you will also be supporting this forum (free to use, but not free to run). Click on the link at the top of this page for more information.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks Robert and everyone else for your help and all the answers this afternoon. I have already seen the article in the magazine. I think I shall have to contact Canon direct to see what they say. Feeling frustrated. I will revert to snapping in JPG to see if that works on the PC but does rather annoy as RAW is obviously much better.
                              My brain is not working today, which is why I am playing on here and hence all the thingys and vaguenesses - I am not usually like this, heading migraine-wards I think.
                              Lynne

Comment

Working...
                              X