Ducking for Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ducking for Dinner

Those of a sensitive nature who go 'oooh aaah' over ducklings... look away now...

Was watching this heron (at WWT London) when a Tufted Duck and two ducklings swam right by it; and like greased lightning the heron grabbed one of the ducklings and was away with it before you could blink...

Sadly; the duckling was dispatched in one gulp shortly after. Equally sadly; I missed that bit coz I could get a clean shot behind other visitors... all going 'aaah how sad'! Nature is tough!

DUCKLING FOR DINNER by Lee Brown, on Flickr
    Cheers;
    Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Re: Ducking for Dinner

Excellent shot -- like I always say "That's life in the Jungle"
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Wow....how is he holding it? the ones I saw with fish had speared right through them.
      Last edited by TonyT; 28-04-2017, 11:16.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Very nice capture. One of the Bu**ers had about 10 of my fish a couple of weeks ago

Regards Paul

Comment

Beautiful shot Lee.

Tom

Comment

Given the opportunity and situation I still take similar photos , but have to admit it`s not something I get pleasure from seeing . It is how ever a well taken photo , and definitely something different and interesting in a gruesome sort of way .

Comment

Good shot of nature in the raw ,herons are buggers for it ,they really like water rails

Comment

Great action shot Lee
                Steve ( LSINWP )
                1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Originally posted by Canonboy View Post
                  Excellent shot -- like I always say "That's life in the Jungle"
                  Survival of the fittest... or... don't be at the bottom of the food chain

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                  Wow....how is he holding it? the ones I saw with fish had speared right through them.
                  Gripped at the end of its beak; you can see the fold in the ducklings body...

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                  Very nice capture. One of the Bu**ers had about 10 of my fish a couple of weeks ago

Regards Paul
                  Yep; they're voracious hunters, and those beaks will easily get through mesh netting...

Thanks for looking...
                  Last edited by EOS_User; 28-04-2017, 21:16.
                  Cheers;
                  Lee
                  5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                  17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    Beautiful shot Lee.

Tom
                    Many thanks...

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                    Given the opportunity and situation I still take similar photos , but have to admit it`s not something I get pleasure from seeing . It is how ever a well taken photo , and definitely something different and interesting in a gruesome sort of way .
                    Interestingly had the duckling have been a fish or frog it wouldn't have had the same impact!

Thanks for looking...
                    Cheers;
                    Lee
                    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      Good shot of nature in the raw ,herons are buggers for it ,they really like water rails
                      I've seen them take almost anything that moves!

Originally posted by Dawesy View Post
                      Great action shot Lee
                      Many thanks...
                      Cheers;
                      Lee
                      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
                        Many thanks...

Interestingly had the duckling have been a fish or frog it wouldn't have had the same impact!

Thanks for looking...
                        The only real difference is not being warm blooded I suppose , though with the increasing rareness of Frogs , I might of muttered something under my breath if I see it happen . We don`t tend to care much about the amount of insects that must get hammered hourly either , and I love seeing raptors , but don `t get pleasure from seeing them kill and eat things I guess its just a human trait some of us have . Though like you have , I would still record it , don`t for one minute think I am knocking anything please Lee , it`s still a good and interesting photo , just a bit on the sad side for my taste .

Comment

Hi Fallow; Not a problem for me; each to their own opinion. I'm all for open and frank exchanges of views and rarely take offence!
                          Cheers;
                          Lee
                          5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Excellent shot. Yes,that is life in the jungle.
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                            X