Canon 7D II Fw 1.1.1 update a tad glitchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 7D II Fw 1.1.1 update a tad glitchy

Upgrading Canon EOS 7D II firmware: Not as straightforward as you'd hope. Note I have the WE-1 Card.

This was announced thus:
    Firmware update for EOS 7D Mark II

Friday, 28 April 2017
    Firmware update for EOS 7D Mark II
    Firmware Version 1.1.1 for the EOS 7D Mark II incorporates the following improvements and fixes:
    1. Enhances reliability of communications when transferring images using Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 (A/B/C/D/E).
    2. Corrects the phenomenon of Err70 which occurs with certain combinations of settings.
    3. Corrects the phenomenon in which in very rare cases the shutter can no longer be released.
    4. Enhances reliability of operations for specific custom function settings.

If using a Wi-Fi adapter/W-E1, the camera's nickname will be reset to default when you perform this firmware update, so you will need to reset the nickname before using the camera. Refer to the W-E1 instruction manual for the setting procedure."

Well, no it doesn't reset the the camera's nickname. But that's hardly the start of my problems with this update.

1) I had to remove the WiFi card. Not a problem, though.
    2) After the upgrade and reinserting the card, I got a succession of problems:
    a) Tried taking a picture so that I could test download. Shutter stuck open. Even when I powered off. In essense introducing the problem (3) supposedly fixed by this update.Eventually I removed the battery. Success.
    b) Switched back on, went to WiFi setup, The whole camera hung and I again had to remove the battery pack to reset, merely switching off did nowt.
    c) Tried again with WiFi setup. Saw that Nickname was the same as before. Cleared WiFi settings. Powered off and back on.
    d) Set up new nickname, took photo, did a test download to my phone. It worked!

I haven't done any more yet, but if I were doing the upgrade again, I'd reset the WiFi settings before removing the card and doing the upgrade. That might help. Perhaps the next person to try the upgrade can do it that way and report back.

Anyhow, watch out, this update can seriously screw your camera.

Please note, the upgrade procedure PDF is the standard one, doesn't mention removing the card or resetting the nickname. The blurb on the website does, but in quite an obscure manner, not saying "reset the nickname because otherwise your camera won't work at all" Caveat Emptor, my friends.
    Last edited by AndyL; 28-04-2017, 10:02.
    See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Re: Canon 7D II Fw 1.1.1 update a tad glitchy

I just plug the lead into the USB of my laptop, not keen on this wizardry

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

This has now been withdrawn.

See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

Comment

It's probably worth noting (here is as good as anywhere) that the WE-1 card must be removed from a Canon EOS 7D2 to enable the USB connection to work. This is with fw 1.1.2

Not noted in any documentation I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyL View Post
          It's probably worth noting (here is as good as anywhere) that the WE-1 card must be removed from a Canon EOS 7D2 to enable the USB connection to work. This is with fw 1.1.2

Not noted in any documentation I have seen.
          It is on page 84 of the W-E1 user manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray-uk View Post
            It is on page 84 of the W-E1 user manual.
            User manual?

Do you mean we have to read the thing? ..................... so that's where I have been going wrong!
            Colin

Comment

Working...
            X