MPB advertEOS magazine advert

Thread: Shooting with flash or high ISO

Default Shooting with flash or high ISO

Generally a good article, however, the example image of the girl by the pier was not a good comparison. The flash shot was taken at f4 giving a pleasing shallow depth of field while the high ISO shot was taken at an unnecessarily high f19. While I would probably have used some flash in the prevailing light if I didn't have a flash with me I would have shot at f4 and created a much better image than the one shown. Comparisons should be like for like not artificially made poorer by bad technique.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 02-05-2017 at 03:40.
    Alan

5DMk IV, 5D Mk III, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Default Re: Shooting with flash or high ISO

Thanks for your feedback. I will forward your comments to the photographer.

Default Re: Shooting with flash or high ISO

On a different note, the article on Exposure Solutions was excellent. I try to explain exposure to my Club members on occasions and it can be very confusing to newcomers to photography. The article sets it out very well..

Sorry for the nit picking over the other article but the two images jumped out at me as my main interest is portraiture, and I would never use a setting as high as f19 as you usually want to isolate the subject from the background. Additionally at f19 you are well outside the sweet spot of the lens and risking other problems such as diffraction.
    Alan

5DMk IV, 5D Mk III, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/