Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching You Watching Us...

Comment & critique PLEASE!

Which, if any, work best for you and why?

1. How I originally shot the image - in Landscape mode;

0 - WATCHING YOU WATCHING US - LANDSCAPE by Lee Brown, on Flickr

2. Same image but Portrait rather than Landscape...

0 - WATCHING YOU WATCHING US - PORTRAIT by Lee Brown, on Flickr

3. A square crop;

0 - WATCHING YOU WATCHING US - SQUARE 1 by Lee Brown, on Flickr

4. Square - rotated left...

0 - WATCHING YOU WATCHING US - SQUARE 2 by Lee Brown, on Flickr

THANKS!
    Last edited by EOS_User; 03-05-2017, 13:13.
    Cheers;
    Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Re: Watching You Watching Us...

The first one for me Lee. I know that was the original but it appears the best balanced image. The converging verticals work well; it's a shame they couldn't have been tighter with eth HSBC building too. The reflection are good on the last two but I keep coming back to the first image.

Not too far away there's a similar shot you can do at More London by City Hall. If you don't know the shot and would like a pointer let me know and I'll add a small image and details here.
    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
      The first one for me Lee. I know that was the original but it appears the best balanced image. The converging verticals work well; it's a shame they couldn't have been tighter with eth HSBC building too. The reflection are good on the last two but I keep coming back to the first image.
      Many thanks for the comment Tony. I'm still torn. I like 'em all, but I think the square crops work better by taking out more of the bland sky. What do others think?

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
      Not too far away there's a similar shot you can do at More London by City Hall. If you don't know the shot and would like a pointer let me know and I'll add a small image and details here.
      Yes; I know where you mean. I have a couple of shots in my bank of stuff still to get around to...
      Cheers;
      Lee
      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
      17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

excellent work and also prefer the first, it seems to lead you into the shot better and I like the negative space with the sky

although I would have lost that annoying downlight / alarm my eye just keeps drifting towards it
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Watching You Watching Us...

1st one for me as well

Tom

Comment

First and last for me. The last one works with the HSBC building being firmly in the corner
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

First for me. I like what the building on the left offers so do not see the need to crop it out as you have on the 4th.

I'm with Tigger, that downlight/alarm has to go

Also- and I'm prepared to be shot down on this one- do we really need the HSBC/logo and its reflection? When you have something like that the eye goes back and asks why- rather than concentrating on the architecturals
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                excellent work and also prefer the first, it seems to lead you into the shot better and I like the negative space with the sky although I would have lost that annoying downlight / alarm my eye just keeps drifting towards it
                Thanks Ian; it was actually the security-camera that caught my eye; hence 'Watching You Watching Us'. Take it out and (I think) there's no 'focal point' and your eye just goes right off the screen... but I stand to be corrected
                Cheers;
                Lee
                5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Tom/Alan; MANY thanks. I'm still torn
                  Cheers;
                  Lee
                  5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                    First for me. I like what the building on the left offers so do not see the need to crop it out as you have on the 4th.

I'm with Tigger, that downlight/alarm has to go

Also- and I'm prepared to be shot down on this one- do we really need the HSBC/logo and its reflection? When you have something like that the eye goes back and asks why- rather than concentrating on the architecturals
                    Many thanks Bo; I'm not gonna shoot you down; I always appreciate constructive critique.
                    See my comments to Ian about the security-camera...
                    As for the HSBC bit, I decided not to clone it out for two reasons; it fills a void that, I feel, needs filling, and, it provides the counter-part to the reflection of that same element in the granite facing on the main building, which, I think, provides a balance, and helps with the diagonal; across the image (in #4 at least)...

So; we're down to #1 or #4... Anyone else???
                    Cheers;
                    Lee
                    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
                      So; we're down to #1 or #4... Anyone else???
                      #4 for me. I like the balance of the HSBC sign and its reflection. I was also going to say remove the security camera but it's grown on me and you have provided ample justification so it can stay
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

The only one not working for me is 4 and I think it's because, unlike the other three, the building feels like it's falling over rather than reaching for the stars...

I can't quite decide between 1 and 2, the portrait orientation suits the verticality of the subjects but the landscape version feels that little bit more right and that's probably because that's how you consciously framed the shot and set the proportions. Had you deliberately framed it in portrait format you may well have chosen a slightly different composition that felt right that way round and then it's likely that it would feel more right than rotated to landscape.

Of the four 3 is probably my favourite, the main building dominates and thrusts itself skyward while the small bit of the HSBC building fills in an otherwise empty corner and actually manages to counterbalance the subject despite being quite small.

As far as the alarm box/camera thingy goes probably best to lose it. Once seen it then sticks out and it doesn't generally go with the clean lines of the buildings themselves.
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

No 1 for me, I won't even try and be technical about the differences in the shots, just that #1 seems better composed and the HSBC building looks best filling that gap as it does in 1

Regards Paul

Comment

No 1 for me. I don't dislike the squares (though I prefer 3 to 4, I think because it conforms to the 'left to right' principle) but perhaps the curved building dominates too much.
                            Canon EOS 7D
                            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I was also going to say remove the security camera but it's grown on me and you have provided ample justification so it can stay
                              THANKS Chris

I can't quite decide between 1 and 2, the portrait orientation suits the verticality of the subjects but the landscape version feels that little bit more right and that's probably because that's how you consciously framed the shot and set the proportions. Had you deliberately framed it in portrait format you may well have chosen a slightly different composition that felt right that way round and then it's likely that it would feel more right than rotated to landscape.

Of the four 3 is probably my favourite, the main building dominates and thrusts itself skyward while the small bit of the HSBC building fills in an otherwise empty corner and actually manages to counterbalance the subject despite being quite small.

As far as the alarm box/camera thingy goes probably best to lose it. Once seen it then sticks out and it doesn't generally go with the clean lines of the buildings themselves.
                              Nigel; MANY thanks for your time & commentary; very much appreciated. I tried cloning out the security camera, but to me it just doesn't sit right, because my eye just drifts up & out of the frame. I see it as an 'anchor' to the image and providing a link between the diagonals... But, what do I know

No 1 for me, I won't even try and be technical about the differences in the shots, just that #1 seems better composed and the HSBC building looks best filling that gap as it does in 1

Regards Paul
                              Thanks Paul; I think I agree for the reasons Nigel notes about how I 'saw' the image originally...

No 1 for me.
                              Thanks Alex; I think that's it then... #1 it is...

My thanks to all who commented; very much appreciated...
                              Cheers;
                              Lee
                              5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Working...
                              X