Sigma contemporary 100-400mm Bazooka lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sigma contemporary 100-400mm Bazooka lens

Nathaniel, I would also go for the Canon 100-400 MKII.

Yes the acquisition cost is higher than the Sigma, but I am sure the accountant in you will look at the "cost of ownership" and that generally comes out in favour of the Canon glass. Though I haven't compared the quality and performance of both lenses, I would normally be comfortable that Canon would be ahead on both counts.

There have also been past issues with Sigma that when you upgrade bodies, the Sigma lens doesn't maintain full functionality. I am aware that Sigma will upgrade the firmware to suit and generally free of charge, but you are still without the lens whilst it is in their hands and postman Pat both ways.
    Colin

Comment

Colin that would be to heavy for nat in his present state of health ,hence his looking at the sigma . Also your comments are right comparing them to the older sigmas but sigma has been under new ownership ( the son of the previous owner) for the last few years ,and with the introduction of the contemporary and sport range of lenses has totally changed the ball game ,if your not aware both types can be tuned to individual styles and needs by simply plugging into your computer via the USB hub .
      The one nats looking at is a contemporary model so falls within the remit and is also half the price and half the weight of the canon

Comment

Thanks folk for your candid comments. Always willing to listen Jeff. My main reluctance to change to the sigma is the badge name. I am rather fond of the Canon badge and even from an Accountant's point of view, the Canon L lenses hold their value much better than third party lenses. They are also an "investment"!However, I will wait a while and perhaps rent a Sigma 100-400 just to try it out and satisfy myself.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
        X