Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon 800D (T7i) newly released model. Is this Sigma lens compatible with my camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 800D (T7i) newly released model. Is this Sigma lens compatible with my camera?

Hi, I've just bought a new Canon 800D DSLR. It is a newly released model. I want to buy a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM / EX DC HSM lens for it (I can't afford the Canon eqivelent).

The Canon 800D has the new dual pixel auto focus image sensor. Can you tell me if the lens is compatible with this new camera please?

Many thanks.

Re: Canon 800D (T7i) newly released model. Is this Sigma lens compatible with my came

Hello, this query should be put on the digital cameras thread as it is NOT a lens.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Re: Canon 800D (T7i) newly released model. Is this Sigma lens compatible with my came

Oh ok, Ty

Comment

If it has an EF mount then it should be ok on an 800D...as all APSC cameras with EF-S mount accept EF mounts but not the other way round....i.e Full Frame cameras don't accept EF-S mount lenses.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          If it has an EF mount then it should be ok on an 800D...as all APSC cameras with EF-S mount accept EF mounts but not the other way round....i.e Full Frame cameras don't accept EF-S mount lenses.
          Yes that's what i thought too. However, the 800d has the new dual pixel auto focus image sensor. What im not completely sure about is can you put the usual lenses onto it and still have the dual pixel auto focusing work?

Comment

Yes it's compatible it's a ef-s. Lens on a ef-s body ,the focussing system makes not one iota o difference

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              Yes it's compatible it's a ef-s. Lens on a ef-s body ,the focussing system makes not one iota o difference
              Thankyou

Comment

The Sigma is an excellent lens, I really like mine. Tests show it to be as good as the Canon, better in some ways, and much cheaper.
                EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                  The Sigma is an excellent lens, I really like mine. Tests show it to be as good as the Canon, better in some ways, and much cheaper.
                  Thank you so much for that info. The thing that was worrying me about the Sigma was how comparible it is to the quality of the Canon version. I've never bought a 3rd party lens before. After asking about lenses on a forum i was advised to buy a fixed aperture brighter lens to let in more light, because most of my shots are of my child indoors using an APS-C canon with kit lens. There's not really enough light going through the kit lens unless large amounts of flash are used or silly ISO's (800+). I obiously want the Canon version, but boy it's expensive (too expensive for my budget). So your comment is reassuring, ty.

Comment

My current wide angle lens (10-20) is a Sigma, I also have a 150-500 which is a Sigma and a 70-300 which is a Tamron. The only problem I have ever had with any of them was a sticking iris in the 10-20 after 2 years, which Sigma repaired quickly and free of charge. I would have no hesitation in buying Sigma or Tamron again, in fact I am currently considering replacing the 150-500 with another Sigma (150-600 C) and my macro with a Sigma 105. The only reason I replaced my Sigma walk around lens with a Canon was that the Canon is slightly more versatile (17-70 to a 15-85), and I have kept the Sigma for use on my 30D.

I think the only worry that most people have about Sigma/Tamron lenses is whether Canon bring out new cameras with soft ware changes which stop the lenses working (I have an old Sigma 24mm which will not work with more recent Canon cameras, although strangely it seems to work with my 70D!), but I don't think this is an issue in recent times. The quality is certainly up with most Canon lenses these days.
                    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Does the lens (any make) affect focus accuracy/precision, or does that only come from the camera body?

Comment

From what I've read, some lens/body combinations require micro calibration, but this is not limited to 3rd party lenses, it can also happen with Canon/Canon combinations. I can't say that I've had any experience with this, although perhaps I should have had! Whether this is down to the lens or the body, others on here might know better than me.
                        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
                          From what I've read, some lens/body combinations require micro calibration, but this is not limited to 3rd party lenses, it can also happen with Canon/Canon combinations. I can't say that I've had any experience with this, although perhaps I should have had! Whether this is down to the lens or the body, others on here might know better than me.
                          Thank you John.

P.s i should of made it clear i meant auto focus, but i think you know what i meant anyway.

Comment

most of my shots are of my child indoors using an APS-C canon with kit lens. There's not really enough light going through the kit lens unless large amounts of flash are used or silly ISO's (800+).
                            Don't forget, however, that if you use the lens wide open (F2.8) then the depth of field will be very small, could well be a problem if you are trying to photograph a moving child, get the focus on the essential eyes and much of the rest may be out of focus.
                            With these later model cameras ISO 800 is far from silly, you should be fine with 1600. Improved high ISO performance is one of the major improvements that have been made over the years. Unless you want to make very large prints, I doubt if you'll notice any quality difference up to ISO 1600.
                            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                              Don't forget, however, that if you use the lens wide open (F2.8) then the depth of field will be very small, could well be a problem if you are trying to photograph a moving child, get the focus on the essential eyes and much of the rest may be out of focus.
                              With these later model cameras ISO 800 is far from silly, you should be fine with 1600. Improved high ISO performance is one of the major improvements that have been made over the years. Unless you want to make very large prints, I doubt if you'll notice any quality difference up to ISO 1600.
                              Thank you Richard.

Yes, i was worrying a bit about the narrow depth of field too (with a hyper child). It's good you echoed my thoughts because it got me thinking about it again.

I think i'm deciding against buying the Sigma now, simply because i prefer using Canon's digital photo professional software over Lightroom, and the Sigma lens is not supported in DPP. DPP seems to do a better job of noise reduction, allowing higher ISO's to be used. I also think the image quality looks significantly better from DPP vs Lightroon (after all it's made by Canon for it's own cameras, and so know them best).

Comment

Working...
                              X