Bluebells colour rendition ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluebells colour rendition ???

Earlier this week I did a few Bluebell shots early afternoon. I know that if they are photographed with a low sun, there can be quite a colour difference depending on direction of shot, with or into the light. I've never had a difference as pronounced as what I was getting this time and I've no idea why. These two shots were just a couple of minutes apart, with no great change to the light. Any ideas why?

John

[IMG]5D-6534.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]5D-6535.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re: Bluebells colour rendition ???

Like the composition of the 2nd image and the nice contrast between the blue and green in the 1st.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom, although it wasn't actually intended for critique, more after suggestions as to why the colour variation.

John

Comment

I have noticed that even small changes in cloud cover can result in the colour rendition of pictures to change.

The camera sensors respond directly to the light so record subtle changes.

The reason we do not discern this with our eyes is that what our eyes receive is adjusted by our brain to form a consistent image.

I'm no physics expert so that may be totally wrong.

Comment

I am a complete non-expert in all things to do with how colours get captured and processed, but I'm guessing to help someone work this out, they'd need to know what white balance setting you used, and what the temperature and tint values recorded were. Can you let us know what these were?Unfortunately I can't see any of the exif as the images are private in Flickr.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
            what white balance setting you used, and what the temperature and tint values recorded were.
            Thanks Alex, just checked my camera and white balance was set to auto. First shot was 5900 and second was 4500. Changed the second one to 5900 and the colours are now matching. Note to self.....make sure balance is not on auto.

John

Comment

Well at least that explains it. Personally I always leave mine on auto as it is one thing less to have to remember to change. I'd rather worry about those adjustments back in my comfortable house. There are some things that I think it is important to get right in camera, call me lacksadaisical but white balance isn't on that list for me.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
              X