Jaws - Great White Shark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaws - Great White Shark

Finally got a half-way decent shot of Jaws!

Great Whites are fairly common off the coast of South Africa (and elsewhere), but they move like greased lightning, and getting a shot with their head above water (even if it is only just!), on a moving, rocking & rolling boat, while hanging on for dear life with a long lens hanging off your neck 'aint easy...

Hope you enjoy... Da da, da da, da da, da da...

JAWS - GREAT WHITE SHARK by Lee Brown, on Flickr
    Cheers;
    Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Re: Jaws - Great White Shark

Very nice, well caught -- have you not thought of getting some underwater shots
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Canonboy View Post
      Very nice, well caught -- have you not thought of getting some underwater shots
      @ Trevor .

It`s a great photo , and I find them fascinating creatures , I bet you had an Adrenalin rush seeing and getting these photos , it`s a bit of shame there is nothing to show the scale of the creature , but well caught all the same .

Comment

Well done Lee. Excellent shot.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

great capture and a rare opportunity well taken Lee
          Steve ( LSINWP )
          1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Well done, Lee, to keep your composure and get a great dynamic image in such circumstances. I know for me it would have come out a messy blur and I'd have kicked myself for the rest of my life for not having a decent record of this once in a lifetime experience.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done Lee - clearly your boat was big enough.
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Nice image Lee

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Canonboy View Post
                  ...have you not thought of getting some underwater shots
                  Yes!

In a cage
                  Cheers;
                  Lee
                  5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                  17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                    ...it`s a bit of shame there is nothing to show the scale of the creature , but well caught all the same .
                    Thanks; my guess would be that it was about 10' or so in length; so maturing, but not a real 'Jaws'!
                    Cheers;
                    Lee
                    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                      ...clearly your boat was big enough.
                      Yes; just as well...

Useless fact of the day... Quince's boat in Jaws was named 'Orca'. I've just read a report that Orcas (Killer Whales) are predating Great Whites to such a large extent that they are in danger! So who would you rather come face to face with
                      Cheers;
                      Lee
                      5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Nat/Steve/Alex/Tom; Many thanks for your time & commentary...
                        Cheers;
                        Lee
                        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Nice one, something to remember, might have been 'only' 10ft but I bet it could still give you a nasty nip!

Regards Paul

Comment

Try dangling the missus over the side, that should bring them in

You lucky so and so seeing them in the wild, love the shot too.
                            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                              Nice one, something to remember, might have been 'only' 10ft but I bet it could still give you a nasty nip! Regards Paul
                              THANKS Paul...

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                              Try dangling the missus over the side, that should bring them in You lucky so and so seeing them in the wild, love the shot too.
                              Mmmm... passed that one by SWMBO; didn't go down too well THX.
                              Cheers;
                              Lee
                              5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X

Comment

Working...
                              X