3rd party or genuine batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd party or genuine batteries

I have a Canon EOS 60, it needs a LP-E6 and LP- E6N batteries is it worth looking for a cheaper alternative or the genuine Canon Battery? Alternatives tend to be less than half the price.

Your thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Re: 3rd party or genuine batteries

No "right" answer to this one. Many people successfully use third party batteries. I only use genuine Canon batteries bought from as reputable suppliers as possible. Typically costs about £50 per battery but the amount I might save using third party is trivial compared to the approx £6.5k I spent on the bodies.

Comment

I have been using Duracel batteries (of this type and others) for years and never had a problem neither from leaking of losing power capability.

Briam
      ef-r

Comment

I bought a spare Canon battery at the same time as I bought my 70D, but have used Hahnel batteries on the 30D for many years with no problem. The only thing to make sure of is buy from a reputable supplier, I saw a Watchdog programme a bit back where someone bought a "genuine" Canon battery from an internet source and it turned out to be fake and damaged his very expensive camera. Not worth taking the risk for a few quid.
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

I have been using in the past third party batteries without any ill effects. However I find that the genuine Canon batteries or the third party batteries from the EOS shop hold their power much longer and these are the ones I use now. I will not advise buying via Ebay.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Many thanks for your input

Nigel

Comment

Any replacement/spare batteries I have bought thus far have been 3rd party but always from reputable dealers. So far only one has prematurely given up the ghost but another of the same make and age is still going strong so probably just a bit of bad luck (though it still lasted several years). FWIW I still have a Jessops battery that I bought over ten years ago with my first digital camera and that still works (and it probably wasn't new then...)

As long as you avoid the cheapest offerings and buy from proper dealers I see no reason to expect any problems. Remember Samsung's exploding phones last year rather showed that OEM doesn't mean you're guaranteed a fault free life...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Many thanks

Think I know what I will do

Nigel

Comment

I'm sure from what has been said here, that 3rd party batteries obtained from a reputable source, are fine.

However, using anything other than genuine Canon batteries, has never been a consideration for me. Having spent several hundred pounds, firstly on a 30D, then a 7D, followed by a 5D3, and now a 5D4 costing £3500, the price of a Canon battery has always been, and now still is, insignificant compared to the cost of the camera.

Unless you are a pro wedding tog, you are unlikely to use more than two fully charged batteries on a days outing, so I would think that one spare battery is enough for most people.
                  Last edited by Dave_S; 20-05-2017, 21:34.
                  Dave

Comment

I've never used anything other than genuine Canon ones so I can't really comment on how good or bad they are in comparison but I'm with Dave_S on this one. My camera didn't cost thousands but still i would prefer to use genuine ones. I do however use a none genuine battery grip which i have 2 Canon batteries in and i have to say that even after a 5 hour nature walk i got home to find the battery levels still showing 3 full bars.
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/150977425@N05/

Comment

All my 3rd party batteries have died suddenly, or broke apart, except for those bought from the EOS Magazine shop. Would highly recommend them.
                      Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
                      http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

I have only ever used batteries from reputable suppliers. The only 3rd party batteries were a reputable make from a reputable source but their performance was not satisfactory as they failed to provide the charge information that you get with the genuine canon batteries. I now only use Canon batteries.
                        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I have four batteries which I use in rotation in a 7D and 5D(3). One has just died on me and it was the only non Canon one, a Hahnel. Having said that, it was at least 6 years old. I did replace it with a Canon one though.

John

Comment

Working...
                          X