5D III Slow Start Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D III Slow Start Up

As you well know, the 5D comes to life as soon as the focus button is half pressed. Well, mine has now decided to introduce a half second delay!

I first noticed this when using my new Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary Lens last week, and it now happens with all my lenses.

It does with all my fully charged batteries.

Any suggestions will be most welcomed. A solution will be otstanding!

Thanks in advance.

Re: 5D III Slow Start Up

You might try changing cards. Take out the CF card and try just with the SD card to see if that makes a difference. I know sometimes
    the CF card my slow things down a little. Cheers.

Comment

Hmm, CF suppose to be far quicker than SD.

Now seem to recall anti-flicker gave something like this.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

If it is the card ,it might be worth checking out its read/write speed , they do vary a lot in what they do and how they perform and a good one will definetly improve your camera ,I managed a 40+ shot burst in raw from the 1D4 after upgrading cards ,and that's not supposed to be possible

Comment

Also seem to remember very low battery can give this type of issue.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

I don't believe that the card type should be a factor in the start-up & ready time for the body??? I'd try taking both batteries out & re-setting to factory settings, then start again with your settings to determine if it's a user issue or a body issue... Good luck...
            Cheers;
            Lee
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
            5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
            17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but it has nothing to do with either the card or the battery.

I've been using the camera for a couple of years with various Canon lenses. The trouble only started with the Sigma lens.

Canon suggested resetting to factory settings. This worked - until I put the Sigma lens back on!

Sigma want the camera & the lens so they can do tests. I cannot & will not do without my camera [my back up isn't good enough, it's a back up].

Any toher suggestions will be welcomed.

Comment

You have answered the question yourself. The lens is causing the problem. If, after a factory reset, your other lenses work correctly and there is no lag, then clearly the Sigma is causing the problem. Sigma do not need your camera to check their lens. If the lens is new then just return it as faulty. The ball is then in their court.
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I have exactly same setup and don't have this issue.

Would be good to check your lens on another 5D3 or another lens on yours.

Maybe a forum member who lives locally or friendly camera shop could help.

Comment

If Sigma want your kit then I would ask them to hire a replacement for you....why should you fund their R&D...if they were researching from another business they would expect to pay.
                    Otherwise I agree with Alan - Can you not just take the lens back to the vendor and get a replacement as you have already concluded its the lens giving you the problem.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I wouldn't send Sigma my camera!
                      They should be able to test a lens on its own surely?
                      They did that to a friend of mine and had his camera for quite a while.
                      Andy
                      Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Long overdue update.

Factory reset no longer cures the issue.

I've since bought a 2nd 5D iii and the Sigma lens does not affect the start up time, ie it is instantaneous.

Both cameras have the latest firmware.

1st camera still takes just under 1 second to 'warm up'.

Comment

Thats weird, have both got exactly the same settings on them?
                          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                          X