Challenge 130: Motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 130: Motion

The title of this Challenge is Motion. We all know it can be difficult to convey motion in a single static image, but I'm interested in seeing the variety of ways that you do so, whether the motion is that of the subject, the photographer or in-camera. Or something else. Please be as creative as you like in your interpretation.

I will judge entries based on interpretation of the theme, technical merit and simply whether I liked it. As ever I will give friendly, honest and constructive comments but I am not a judge, just an enthusiastic amateur with my own opinions.

If you've not entered before, please please please do so. It is just a bit of fun, no-one gets hurt, but lots of entries makes it so much more interesting all round, and in turn encourages others to enter.

Please abide by the general rules:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight (UK time) Sunday 11 June, so you have 3 full weeks to consider, capture and process your masterpieces.

PS. I nearly called this Challenge 'Movement' but that had been used before, back in Challenge 69. Plus the word 'Motion' always makes me smile; as all Hitchhikers fans will know, whenever you drink a nice hot cup of tea you are sampling the delights of Brownian Motion.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Challenge 130: Motion

Didn't want to miss out on another so -

Fast n Slow.

1DX, 70-200 2.8mkII with 1.4 mkIII. 1/10, f/45, iso 100, 98mm

.DAVID.

yes I know the focus point is miniscule - normally this would have gone in the bin, but liked it for the 'motion' theme (and I know it will really annoy a couple of people lol)xxx
    Last edited by David Stallard; 22-05-2017, 05:58.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Look Both Ways...
      Look Both Ways Before Crossing by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Scotsman Flying - it came past today at full chat (it was late leaving Bristol).

Scotsman by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Field of Barley

Worth a go.

IMG_9542 by Guy Anderson, on Flickr

Guy
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

Comment

Sorry, Guy, but because this image has been posted and commented on elsewhere in the Forum it becomes ineligible (see 8th bullet point in the rules), which I tried to refer to in my own comment on that other thread, but clearly I was a bit too obscure... So I can't allow this photo to be entered, but if you have another from the set it would be fine.
            Sorry for any confusion, but do please put something in.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

Hello,being a newbie here,have 2 questions: 1> is photo number one elligible as it is more than 1000 pixels wide?
              2> is cropping allowed?

Comment

Welcome Hornet

I crop mine when needed to help the image, size wise is to help those with smaller monitors, personally I would open a free flickr account as you can upload what ever size you want and then select a size from their site to scale it too and post it on here, the site also tends to produce a better quality image than the forums own image handling..
                I checked all the images showing on this current competition on here and they are all within the size limits, however, clicking on them will take you to flickr where they can be considerably larger, which is acceptable. Do not forget most cameras these days are knocking out images 4000 pixels wide and above, so some resizing etc is inevitable.
                Last edited by TonyT; 01-06-2017, 13:45.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks TonyT, but how do i crop/resize at there?

Comment

Hi Hornet. I would say most people do all their cropping in their post processing software, whatever that is, as this is integral to creating the image they want. Then, as Tony says, the recommended way to display images on this forum is to do it from Flickr, so set up an account (it is free). Then use your processing software to re-size to whatever size you feel comfortable releasing to the great unwashed public. Some people are happy to post full sized images, some resize a lot smaller (1024 pixels seems popular) so that it someone downloads it from Flickr they at least aren't getting good enough quality to print. Once the image is in Flickr you can choose the size that you want to display on this forum through the BB Code. The competition rules stipulate 800 on longest edge, and that is one of the options you can choose.
                    Hope that helps, and I look forward to your entry.
                    Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Thanks,AlexR,I hope so.

Comment

A whirlpool art installation.
                        IMG_2652 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

I have uploaded my picture to Flicker,but i am not familiar with BB code.how should i put the link here? simply pasting the link won't work?
                          Should i use [url] , [IMG] or both?

Comment

Originally posted by hornet3001 View Post
                            I have uploaded my picture to Flicker,but i am not familiar with BB code.how should i put the link here? simply pasting the link won't work?
                            Should i use [url] , [IMG] or both?
                            In Flickr (note you should use the main website not an app version) select your image.
                            Click on the rightward facing arrow in the bottom right of the screen (the middle of five symbols).
                            This brings up a box saying 'Share 1 photo to:'.
                            Click on BB code.
                            Click on the pull down arrow below BBcode and select 'Medium 800 x something' (if your image is landscape) or 'Medium something x 800' (if it is portrait).
                            This should highlight a load of text in the box above.
                            Right click the highlighted text and copy the lot.
                            Paste it into your post.
                            Voila (hopefully).
                            Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Thank you very much AlexR, maybe i had only a couple of hours left.

Maybe the viewer will be envious.

Maybe You'll Be Envious
                              by Farhad Movassat, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X