X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge 130: Motion

Kite in motion by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Firstly, thanks to all of you who entered, a slightly thinner set of entries, which is a shame, but some new blood which is nice to see.
      So, to my thoughts on each (and please remember I'm no judge, these are just my own personal and possibly ill-informed opinions):

David Stallard: Fast n slow
      I love the colour and the dynamism. You are right there isn’t a lot that is sharp but there’s enough that the central subject is easily recognisable and there is certainly a great sense of movement, so that makes it perfectly executed.

ColytonJohn: Look both ways
      Great title. So close to being abstract, yet still recognisable as a train, and with the track and fencing of the crossing sharp so rooting it into space. I really like the additional graininess of the image.

John Liddle: Scotsman flying
      Classic panning of a classic train. Shows really great technique with the nameplate sharp and the rest in motion. And a nice touch with the tree adding height behind and providing some darkness to see the slight puff of smoke.

Guy24: Field of Barley
      As I said in the thread, this is sadly ineligible because it was posted and commented on elsewhere in the forum (and therefore my views are potentially affected by others) but thanks for entering it anyway. Repeating what I said in the original thread: I really like it. You’ve managed to get enough 'swirl' on the tops while retaining a bit of stillness at the base. I think the image would look slightly better with the pylons gone, but not everyone will agree.

Daisy M: Whirlpool art installation
      That’s a really great sense of swirliness. Very nicely judged shutter speed to retain the ridges in the water but blurring the movement whilst keeping the central hole sufficiently sharp. Love the variation in tones and the overall texture.

Hornet3001: Maybe you’ll be envious
      There is something I really like about that, perhaps the diagonals of the building roofline and the bird, perhaps how the bird boldly fills the frame, perhaps the muted colours against the blue sky. Not sure, but it works.

ctrollen: Kite in motion
      Now that I really do like. Great concept, great colours. Has the blur been added in post processing or did you achieve it in camera? I can’t tell, but I don’t mind. The overall effect is of a pin sharp kite with its lines, streaking across the sky, exactly the sort of image I was hoping to see.

And my winners, in reverse order are:
      3rd: ColytonJohn: Look both ways
      2nd: David Stallard: Fast n slow
      1st: ctrollen: Kite in motion

So well done to Chris for your first ever Challenge win; over to you for the next one. And for everyone else who entered, sorry you didn’t win it this time, but please keep entering, it would be great to maintain the momentum of a vibrant competition in the forum.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Wow - my first rostrum last time out and now this! I am dead chuffed!

Thanks Alex for setting a great challenge and to all who entered, especially John and David, very worthy runners-up.

The end result was all post-processing, starting with the sharpest shot of the kite I had. I saw the kite being flown whilst walking along the beach at Aldeburgh and knew that with the colours and blue sky that it was a good subject for the challenge. I tried some to get some shots with in-camera blur but couldn't get it to work how I had it in my mind, so Affinity came to the rescue

I obviously now have to come up with the subject for next month's challenge, and have a couple of ideas. I will post whatever I go with in the next day or so.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Very well done Chris, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the next one - lets hope we get a few more entries.

Great critique again Alex, not an easy choice this time around ehh ;-)

.DAVID.
          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Well done Chris for an excellent and worthy winner

Thanks also to Alex for setting a good subject (and giving my entry a place )

Cheers,
            John

Comment

As you said Alex not many entries but some great shots on a difficult subject. Well done to Chris's on your first win, it's a great feeling. Hope you can find a subject as hard as Alex's one was. Dave

Comment

Congratulations to Chris and grateful thanks to Alex for setting and judging an interesting challenge. I look forward to the next!
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                X