RAW Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAW Conversion

I have recently been comparing RAW conversions with different software. In simple terms DPP4 totally rocks. I have Adobe Photographers Package so therefore their latest offering and have recently bought Affinity in order to access it for my Club. As a result of the test I have changed my workflow and gone over to DPP4 exclusively for RAW conversion. Colour fidelity is better, noise reduction is better and I don't have to fiddle about manually adjusting things. If you are not using it you are really missing a trick.
    Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Re: RAW Conversion

I agree. I've used DPP from the start and have also recently bought Affinity. I use them for very different things but always start with DPP.
    If
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I'd be interested to know how you use DPP in your workflows? I'm currently using Bridge->ACR->Photoshop for Canon raw so where does DPP fit into your workflow?
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
        I'd be interested to know how you use DPP in your workflows? I'm currently using Bridge->ACR->Photoshop for Canon raw so where does DPP fit into your workflow?
        The workflow is just the same as for Bridge or as you would use in Lightroom!

I sort out all my workflow out in DPP without any problems and shoot more images and subjects than most,I can cover rugby /cricket/ football/ hockey all in the same day and all need their own set of folders ready for uploading to a dropbox folder.

If I need additional work doing, other than sharpening/highlights-shadows/cropping/straightening/resizing, i will then go into photoshop elements usually for cloning as i do find it easier than DPPs attempt.

Paul
        Last edited by paul linton; 21-05-2017, 10:49.
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I have used DPP in the past , and have gone back to it again , I also end up finishing off in elements, for resizing and sharpening ect .

Comment

Most if my shots are processed exclusively in DPP. I use Affinity sparingly for adding effects or anything that needs layers, etc. And I'm still a complete novice in respect of anything over and above a bit of sorting out shadows, highlights, cropping anyway!
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
              The workflow is just the same as for Bridge or as you would use in Lightroom!
              Perhaps I didn't ask the question the right way. What output files do you generate from DPP that you then process in Elements? I'm guessing TIFF?
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                Perhaps I didn't ask the question the right way. What output files do you generate from DPP that you then process in Elements? I'm guessing TIFF?
                Hi Andy

You can convert the files to what ever suits, i only need Jpeg but Tiff 8bit or 16bit are available if you need to keep IQ to the Max.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Is the editing non-destructive like LR?
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                    Hi Andy

You can convert the files to what ever suits, i only need Jpeg but Tiff 8bit or 16bit are available if you need to keep IQ to the Max.

Paul
                    Cheers Paul. I may give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                      Is the editing non-destructive like LR?

The 'original Raw image data itself' remains unaffected so the answer is yes.

Paul

Comment

Thanks for that guidance Paul
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

That sparked some activity. I create small jpegs for the people I have photographed to choose their favorites. Once they have picked I create TIFF files to edit in either Photoshop or infinity. Lightroom has become redundant and so I would love to be able to do away with Photoshop and save the subscription. Unfortunately although Affinity is very good (Far better than Elements) at present it is still short of some tools. I suspect that this will change so Adobe need to watch out. So good to have some competition in the editing software market.
                          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Have not looked at affinity , what advantages does it have over elements ?

Comment

Usually I use ACR for conversion but occasionally I use DPP as I find it better for batch processing (or I haven't got to grips with ACR properly) but that's usually for JPEG's. On the occasions when I start from raw I just let it send the image directly to PS for final tweaking. It doesn't show a file type when exporetd this way though I suspect it's a TIFF file as it's 16-bit.

I'd possibly use DPP more if it wasn't for the utterly awful 'tune' control for the colour balance, you know the one with the coloured circle - I can find no way of achieving any kind of fine control with it.

On the upside rating images with DPP is much easier than ACR.

Of course another reason for mainly using ACR is that with raw files originating from Canon, Nikon and Panasonic it's much simpler to use one common converter than three proprietary ones...
                              Last edited by El Sid; 24-05-2017, 12:00.
                              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                              X