Advice on down-sizing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on down-sizing?

Have realised that when away on "holiday" carrying a fair sized camera bag with 7D and a couple of lenses is putting a strain on my ageing shoulders (and those poor folk it bangs into) when most shots are simply vacation record stuff. So, thinking about restricting the DSLR stuff to nature, macro and occasions when photography is the aim and carrying a decent "point and shoot" camera for trips, grandkids etc.
    Tried it with my little Ixus 95 and was a bit disappointed with the quality and versatility.
    Anyone do a similar thing or got any thoughts? Preferably something that would be pocketable and not too great a weight?
    The Canon SX 730 "superzoom" seems well specified..... or its predecessor, the SX 720.
    Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Advice on down-sizing?

ON holiday or when travelling, I take my crop 760D + 10-18mm +55-250mm +1.4 Kenko and this combo is very light and a delight to carry. For good measure I also take my compact G15. I carry this all the time when "real photography" is not on my mind.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

EOS M5?
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Canon G7X or whatever the latest version of that might be. I love mine! Although in fact, I am also using my iPhone 7+ a LOT for photographs, with the added benefit that there is a wealth of fantastic apps (including LightRoom if you have LR CC) so you can create some fantastic images.See here: http://www.raphoto.me/p1065686022 (I know not to everyone's taste, but fun to do)

Best

Richard
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Look at either getting the EOS M5 or the M6. They are excellent cameras and with the M-adapter you can use you EF & EF-S lens on that system as well. I have the M3 and the M5 and they are my travel cameras now.

Tom

Comment

Tom makes a lot of sense with the mirrorless cameras, they are a lot smaller, you can use the current lenses you have thus saving costs and as weight becomes more of an issue you can change over to the smaller lenses designed for it.

I have seen the body of the M5 on uk grey importers sites for £630 odd. Indeed I am considering one.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I know that the M series is on par with the 100D- excellent cameras. I owned a 100D for quite sometime. The only disadvantage for me was that the 100D was a bit too small for my hands esp in combination with the 70-300mm L + 1.4 HD. Hence I reluctantly sold it for the 760d and have not regrets whatsoever.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I own a Canon 100D and i use them with 24mm pancake and 40mm pancake when travelling and if needed i use and space i take 17-40.
                Raj
                Raj
                Flickr

Comment

100D with 15-85mm?

Comment

Thanks, as ever, for the useful and interesting replies.
                    Something that would go into a pocket is important. Had a play with brother-in-law's new M5 over the weekend - ace gear but not pocket size. Will look at the G7 series and the SX 720/730 - X40 zoom on the SX stuff which seems almost too good to be true.
                    Cheers, Chris.
                    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Originally posted by rajjayaraj View Post
                      I own a Canon 100D and i use them with 24mm pancake and 40mm pancake when travelling and if needed i use and space i take 17-40.
                      Raj
                      This is my wife's lightweight kit too, with the exception of the 17-40 that is. The two primes - 24mm and 40mm - are outstanding for the price and I'd love Canon to produce more lenses of that type. My other camera is a Fuji x-pro 2 for which there is a fine selection of primes and I think Canon could benefit from adding some other small lenses like an 18mm or even 14mm.
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi
                        I am in the same boat , Looking for a small travel camera .
                        I have an Eos M was looking to upgrade to a M6 but i quite like the GX7 MK2 with its built in lens
                        and it will fit nicely in my pocket , The M fits in but the lens on the GX7 is more wide ranging and suited for those holiday snaps

Ivan

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Eventually went for the Supershot SX730 - it is pocketable as the lens retracts, has an amazing X40 optical zoom, focusses down to about 3cm for real macro, and for symbols. ways of working etc is all familiar Canon. Very impressed so far and will save a lot of shoulder wear from bag with 7D, 24-105, 100-400 and 100macro - covers what all those would do when on holiday.
                          Only downside is jpeg only but for holiday use and grandkids that's no problem.
                          Cheers, Chris.
                          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                          X