Evening in the Sun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening in the Sun...

I've been too busy of late to engage in the forum and view posts hence no comments from me, sorry.

I hadn't even taken anything myself but the other day that changed when I was contacted by the band who used one of my shots for a CD cover last year. They're planning a 12" vinyl and said one of my 'sunset' shots would be perfect except the title called for the sun to be in the frame so did I have that scene but including the sun? I didn't but rose to the challenge and went off to the same location to see what I could get.

Most of my 'sunset' shots are after the sun has dipped below the horizon when the sky puts on a colourful light show and shooting into the setting sun isn't something I've had much success with as burns and flare are difficult to avoid. However, to get the shots they needed I used seven bracketed image HDRs with one stop spacing and they seemed happy enough with the results.

As it's ultimately for a 12" it needs a 1x1 aspect ratio so I left sufficient cropping room with the band making the final decision on which image to use and how it should be cropped.

This may not be the one they use (I have others from slightly different positions and processing) and, even if were, it would be cropped but it serves to show the rural scene + sun + water they desired:
    5D3_6122_HDR by John Leah, on Flickr

I think the flare is probably unavoidable but I don't feel it distracts although there is some CA that I'd want to remove. That was possibly brought about by hand-holding seven images - I had a tripod with me but couldn't use it as I was stood precariously on a narrow wall! I was also too close to use the 24-105 f4 L I'd intended to use to produce a bigger sun using instead the optically superior but arguably too wide 16-35 f4 L.

Cheers,
    John

Re: Evening in the Sun...

12" as in record, do they make those anymore

but excellent work John and once its printed up you'll have to take a photo holding the fine artwork, well done

so the big question, was a it a paid job
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Beautiful shot John, well executed.
      - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        12" as in record, do they make those anymore
        Vinyl is making a big come back in the UK
        - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Thanks Ian and Tony

Yes it was a paid job... I'm getting a copy of the record It is a limited edition and with vinyl so popular again it could become valuable in years to come (especially if the group makes it big) but 'value' is meaningless if it's something that will never be sold (although my family probably have other ideas )

Cheers,
          John

Comment

:- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Really nice, so much to look at

Regards Paul

Comment

Lovely sunset. John

Tom

Comment

Thanks Paul and Tom

Cjeers,
                  John

Comment

A lovely photo, looks a very special spot
                    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Thanks Jeff

Yes it's a great spot as directly behind me is a pretty little harbour with two excellent pubs within 100 mts

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Phew GREAT composition! Congrats!
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Stunning shot John
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Nice work John, mind you don't scratch the vinyl when you get you copy

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                            X