Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from a new member in North Somerset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from a new member in North Somerset.

Hi all, joined here recently and thought I'd post a quick test photo from a recent holiday Be interested to hear what others think of it?

Re: Hello from a new member in North Somerset.

Welcome from a fellow North Somerset member! We are a friendly bunch and you will get lots of support from the other members.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hi ?, and welcome to the forum.

As you ask for feedback, my comments are that its a nice shot, but needs a bit of Photoshop TLC to bring out the best from it.

Straighten the tilted horizon, straighten the verticals (leaning tower block), and lift the boat out of the shadows using the highlights and shadows function in photoshop, or similar.

Dave
      Last edited by Dave_S; 27-05-2017, 10:12. Reason: typo
      Dave

Comment

Another warm welcome to the forum... As for image commentary... what Dave said above! Had a quick play with the image, and there's plenty of detail to pull out and 'improve' on... Unfortunately in straightening the horizon, you also wind up cutting off the bottom of the boat. Good luck...
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Welcome indeed. I see from the image's exif on Flickr that you have Elements so you should be able to do all that Dave and Lee suggest and should end up with a stronger image. Regarding the straightening of the building on the left, as Lee says you don't have much room around to play with verticals so if that doesn't work don't be afraid to be radical. My suggestion would be to crop it out completely as its angle is very intrusive. Without it I find that my eye goes more naturally along the line of the boat to the sun which I think should be the main subjects. Plus it moves the boat more off centre which I generally find a more pleasing composition.
          Hope that helps, but if you don't like the suggestions no worries, the value of this forum is that we all see things differently and at the end of the day your image is your image. Interested in your thoughts on any of the above.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Many thanks for the welcome and all the comments This was taken from the Star Ferry in Hong Kong just as this huge cargo ship crossed right in front of us. I've not really done much post before so will have a go with this one.

Comment

Just down the road then John - I'm in Nailsea

Comment

Originally posted by fotoshields View Post
                Just down the road then John - I'm in Nailsea
                Nice to have a local enthusiast!
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

My old home town as well, well for 20 odd years anyway. Now in Scotland, welcome to a great forum.

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Tom

Comment

Welcome indeed, don't think much of your cruise liner though...looks like it was past its sell by date
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                      X