Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royalty-free licence

Hi all.
    I have been approached by a hotel who want to use one of my photos to print and put on some of the bedroom walls. I have given them a price and I am just waiting for them to come back to me. Does anyone have a basic copy of a royalty-free licence agreement which I could get them to agree to if I am successful?
    The image has been used elsewhere and I need to retain the rights to use it elsewhere so I'm guessing that this kind of agreement is the way forward.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Rob

Re: Royalty-free licence

Hi Rob, I don't have any such agreement, I'm afraid, but if you are worried about them re-using your digital file, I guess an alternative option is to get them printed and mounted yourself and sell them ready framed? You may be able to work a bit more profit in that way...
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
      Hi Rob, I don't have any such agreement, I'm afraid, but if you are worried about them re-using your digital file, I guess an alternative option is to get them printed and mounted yourself and sell them ready framed? You may be able to work a bit more profit in that way...
      Unfortunately that's not an option as they are looking at buying 4 other images from other photographers. We all won various categories in a photography competition and they want to buy the rights to all 5 images so they can print them themselves.

Comment

You might be better exploring a non-exclusive licence with a specified maximum number of copies which can be made. You might also want to think about a maximum term for the licence.

Comment

Sounds good to me. Does anyone have an example of a non-exclusive licence?

Comment

Not sure if this has been answered but there are plenty of RF and RM agreements on the internet. There is no real need for these as all you have to do is agree with them a price for them to use the image as often as they wish. Assuming you are in the UK, copyright automatically stays with you. It might be wise however to point out to the hotel that you may sell usage rights elsewhere. They could insist that you agree not to see to competitors. this would still leave you free to sell for cards, single prints and editorial use.

Comment

Make sure that they won't be used for advertising or publicity material for newspapers, online etc.

Comment

I used to do this sort of thing and generally they fell into 5 years UK exclusive rights and 5 years Uk non-exclusive rights.
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X