• Show
Clear All

Re: 6D MkII

Good response.
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
      I notice you also use a 760D Nat, which I believe also has an articulated screen. Have you ever had a problem with that, or managed to break it?
      John,
      Yes, the 760D has got an articulated screen but I do not use it at all!!!!! I don't use it as I am scared I could break it by turning it the wrong way!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I think you'd find it difficult to break it by turning it the wrong way Nat, unless you were really trying hard! My only worry is dropping the camera with the screen extended, and in all the years I've used cameras I've only dropped one once (touch wood). In any case, if you choose not to use a feature that's entirely up to you, it's your camera.

Like you, I'm interested in the 6DII, but I also wouldn't jump in straight away, preferring to wait until any bugs have been ironed out and the price drops, although I think that might be some time.
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Ive never heard of an articulated screen being broken....its a risk Id take without too much thought.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            I have had the 6D mk1 for some time now and it gives superb results for me, esp in low light. I could not have taken any church or concert photos without it. Having said that I am interested in the Mk2 version but will not make a move until it is been around for some time, with a price reduction as well. As Colin as mentioned, I am not a fan of the articulated screen as it can always break if it is turned the wrong way- easily done.
            Nat, just to set your mind at rest regarding the articulated screen, I've had a 700D for several years and use the screen a lot (due to limited personal articulation) and I have to say I haven't had a problem with it - in fact it's coped with far more than I thought it would. Turning it the wrong way would take a lot of effort in my opinion!
            Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

From my limited experience with articulated screens they really quite useful though I'd prefer one that simply tilts up and may be down as well. I do find the swing out types tricky when trying to keep the horizons level - probably a personal thing though.

I suppose the screen when swung out is more vulnerable but unless you persist in being careless to the point of recklessness I doubt that it's that more vulnerable than the camera as a whole...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I begrudge the space lost to physical controls. If you look at the back of a 5D III and the 7D II there is a row of buttons down where the hinge fits on the 6D II. Some of those buttons, the zoom/magnify button for example, moved to the right of the screen near were we have the joystick on the 7D II.
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

There are no buttons down the left hand side of the original 6D, so adding an articulated screen loses nothing.
                  John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

This conversation moved on from just the 6D II to other cameras. In general, the addition of an articulated screen seems to remove the left-hand side button option from cameras.
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

the addition of an articulated screen seems to remove the left-hand side button option from cameras.
                      But the 6D, being a smaller bodied camera, didn't have room for buttons on the left side anyway.
                      I've got so used to using the Q button and touch screen to make most changes that I no longer use the buttons very often. For me, the fact that the 6D2 has a touch screen would be as important as that the screen is articulated.
                      Not that I can afford a 6D2 though
                      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Chart...on%20EOS%2080D this may be of interest to some people?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

I find those charts interesting, particularly when you add other cameras to the mix such as Nikon or Sony, or even my own Fuji. Quite often I see comments about how rubbish is the DR of Canon sensors and then you look at graphs like that and the differences in each in terms of actual dynamic range seems so small as to be hardly worth bothering with.

But I do find I have to do less with images from my X-Pro 2 compared to the 7D2 to recover shadows etc. so perhaps there is something in it. And it does show why you have to work much harder and get the exposure right when shooting at higher ISO.

Try adding the iPhone 7 to the chart for a surprise.

Comment

Interesting article about pro/cons of upgrading from 6D to 6D2.

The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is a better camera than its predecessor, but how much better? Should you buy one?
                            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                              When doing macro from very low positions on a tripod with legs splayed fully out, an articulated screen is invaluable, otherwise you have to lie down flat behind the viewfinder or screen. As I get older, I'm more and more concerned that if I lie down flat in the middle of a field, I might struggle to get up again.
                              Hi Richard,

Have you tried using the 'angle view finder' when using the camera in a low position? denkel.

Comment

Amazon currently have the 6D MKII for £1680 - saving of £319 on most other outlets. I was going to wait until prices dropped & P/ex my 6D but tempted now....
                                Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Working...
                                X