6D MkII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6D MkII

As the 5D3 and 6D2 are selling at the same price, I assume Canon must believe that the 5D3 still has some appealing features which make both equally attractive, if for different reasons?
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
      Just traded in my 5D Mk III for the 6D Mk II. Won't be in till mid July/August
      Tom,

Following on my previous comments I will be interested to hear your views on the 6D MK II. Before its announcement the only alternative I had considered was the 5D MK III which is still available for the same price.

I've invested a fair bit in Canon lenses and, as mentioned, my 6D serves me well.
      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
        As the 5D3 and 6D2 are selling at the same price, I assume Canon must believe that the 5D3 still has some appealing features which make both equally attractive, if for different reasons?
        The 5D3 is significantly cheaper than it was though. And for whatever reason there will be people that see the 6D2 in the same way as it's predecessor. Won't be happy with the smaller form, a single sd slot, lack of joystick, etc. Therefore there will still be a market for it.
        If I don't get on with the Sony I'll be back in 6 months for a 6D2.
        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I sold my 6D because:

- lack of focus points
          - min shutter speed of 1/4000
          - slow burst rate

Unfortunately the new 6D2 still doen't get over these issues
          for example with the focus points - now 48 with 24 f8 - are still cover a very small area. This with the still slow burst rate limit what can be achieved.

For me this is an improvement but has limitations - and at the price the we are in the used 1DX teratory and well beyond the 7D2.

One this we can be sure of is that the pictures will be top quality
          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
            Tom,

Following on my previous comments I will be interested to hear your views on the 6D MK II. Before its announcement the only alternative I had considered was the 5D MK III which is still available for the same price.

I've invested a fair bit in Canon lenses and, as mentioned, my 6D serves me well.
            I do a lot of indoor shooting for our church during church services. Flashes are not allowed. I have not been overly impressed with the 5D MKIII low light capability and frond that the M5 out preformed the 5D in Low light conditions. I am also pretty impressed with the phase section system that canon has developed and is on the M5. I also found that for the 2 slots memory card on the 5D, I only really used the CMOS Card, the SD card was used to store jpegs, but I never had a need to use images from that card, so 1 Memory card slot was not a show stopper for me.

So here are the specs that had me choose the 6DMKII

ISO Sensitivity
            6D MK II: Auto, 100-40000 (Extended Mode: 50-102400); 5D MK III: 100-25600 (High Sensitivity Mode: 50-102400)

Autofocus Points
            6D MK II: Phase Detection: 45 (45 Cross-Type); 5D MK III: 61

Display Screen
            6D MK II 3" Swivel Touchscreen LCD (1,040,000); 5D MKIII: 3.2" Rear Screen LCD (1,040,000)
            Note: I have the touch screen on the M3 and M5 and it is so easy to access the camera controls. An as I'm getting older, laying on the ground to take a picture is not as enjoyable as I was when I was younger.

Tom

Comment

as I'm getting older, laying on the ground to take a picture is not as enjoyable as I was when I was younger.
              I still don't have a problem with that Tom.

Getting up off the ground afterwards ............... that's where I have the problem!
              Colin

Comment

Neither of you are alone there ,tried a inflatable settee in the camping shop last week ,I couldn't get off it ,even the wife couldn't pull me up ,in the end I had to get on my knees to stand up again .thats when you needed the video function Colin

Comment

I have had the 6D mk1 for some time now and it gives superb results for me, esp in low light. I could not have taken any church or concert photos without it. Having said that I am interested in the Mk2 version but will not make a move until it is been around for some time, with a price reduction as well. As Colin as mentioned, I am not a fan of the articulated screen as it can always break if it is turned the wrong way- easily done.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I totally understand your reasoning Tom...I think the new 6D will be head and shoulders above the 5D3 regarding hi ISO noise performance, its much newer and the original 6D was better than the 5D3. I'd also welcome the flip screen, and touch functionality on my 100D often gets used.

During a wedding last year I did have a corrupt CF card about an hour into shooting, luckily dual cards helped on that day....but thats not a need for everyone.....its all about acceptable risk.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Tom & Nat for your comments.

Like both of you I often shoot in situations where flash is not allowed or desirable and the 6D produces the results for me.
                      As I've said earlier in this thread I'm going to wait and see whether the upgrade will enable me to do more or produce better images.

Also, having just had a cartilage repaired maybe the 6D MK II is the camera for those with dodgy knees!
                      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Also, having just had a cartilage repaired maybe the 6D MK II is the camera for those with dodgy knees!
                        Whilst the 6D MKII is undoubtedly good, a walking stick may be more appropriate ............... or a zimmer frame!
                        Last edited by colin C; 01-07-2017, 19:46.
                        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          As Colin as mentioned, I am not a fan of the articulated screen as it can always break if it is turned the wrong way- easily done.
                          I notice you also use a 760D Nat, which I believe also has an articulated screen. Have you ever had a problem with that, or managed to break it?
                          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            Whilst the 6D MKII is undoubtedly good, a walking stick may be more appropriate ............... or a zimmer frame!
                            Welcome back Colid
                            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                              Welcome back Colid
                              Thanks Brian.
                              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                                For the present I shall continue with my 6D unaided!
                                Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X