Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google abandons Nik collection

Not totally unexpected, but a real shame none the less

Google received praise from photographers last year when it made its $150 Nik Collection of popular photo editing software 100% free. But alas, all good
    Last edited by digiman; 30-05-2017, 17:39.
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Google abandons Nik collection

sadly like a lot of things G acquires if it doesn't work they soon drop it - even though lots of people use it
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Colour me surprised, I thought they'd dropped support years ago.

This doesn't stop it working for the moment but I can see it eventually no longer working on new platforms. Makes me glad I'm sticking with CS6 for the foreseeable...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

That is why I made the move to Macphun as I haven't seen any up dates in the Nik Software platform.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
          That is why I made the move to Macphun as I haven't seen any up dates in the Nik Software platform.
          I had a quick google yesterday to see if there was anything to support my thinking that Google had dropped support for Nik a while ago. Seems I was wrong but I did find suggestions that some of the Nik developers have moved to Macphun and work on Luminar. Which makes sense as the approach is similar, though most of the newer editing tools are using a similar approach now.

I wonder how much this is costing Adobe?
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I suppose the cynical amongst us would posit that Google only bought the Nik Collection so that they had removed the potential opposition for a suite of their own programs which we shall see emerging in the near future.
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Google have a history of buying companies, stripping the technology, and selling or just abandoning them. Sketchup (which I use, and thankfully has been bought by people who care) and I am sure I read last year that the Nest home automation in America was shut down leaving thousands of home owners without Wi-fi control of their homes after investing hundreds in technology. Google come across as a friendly forward thinking company, but, to me, they look like a predator who want buy out new tech, try it, and disband it if they don't turn an expected profit in the first two years. Cynical? Perhaps, but not without foundation

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                Google come across as a friendly forward thinking company, but, to me, they look like a predator who want buy out new tech, try it, and disband it if they don't turn an expected profit in the first two years. Cynical? Perhaps, but not without foundation
                well said and sadly they now control just about every bit of information online - 10 yrs ago people had a choice where they found information now sadly we live in this awful "Google-it" world

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  ....sadly they now control just about every bit of information online....
                  It's this phrase that concerns me. They do "control" information. It is assumed by the masses that when you "google-it" that an unbiased list of possibilities of the information you are looking for is what comes up, but when you see all the sponsored adds that are first in the list, or when it is a news story, or political information you are searching for, it almost looks like the results are tailored to what "they" (whoever they may be) want you to see and be conditioned in to thinking. Propaganda springs to mind....

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                    It's this phrase that concerns me. They do "control" information. It is assumed by the masses that when you "google-it" that an unbiased list of possibilities of the information you are looking for is what comes up, but when you see all the sponsored adds that are first in the list, or when it is a news story, or political information you are searching for, it almost looks like the results are tailored to what "they" (whoever they may be) want you to see and be conditioned in to thinking. Propaganda springs to mind....
                    agree and sadly big brother has a firm hold and no one can touch them - I was hoping one day we would see something like i-search as they have the followers and money to take on G but that just doesn't seem to be happening. In the UK G takes between 90-95% of all searches done online, that is a very sorry state of affairs

Comment

Have the Nik collection but not used much, mainly Silver Efex.

Pity support/development is going.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

There is wide spread support online to make it open source. Any opinions on this? I have no idea about this stuff, but if it means maintaining development, this must be a good thing, right?

Comment

Sadly Google's early philosophy of 'Don't be evil' is long gone (that is if it was ever really true). They will simply and ruthlessly do whatever is in their best commercial interests. So I can't see them making this code open source, given, as I understand it, that it includes significant amounts of their intellectual property.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

No huge surprise... I had hoped that when Google decided to make it effectively freeware they might be looking to build the user-base to make it a viable prospect to sell on! Never mind. An Open Source arrangement would be great, but I'm sure that in the fullness of time a decent alternate to Nik will emerge (for us old Windoze users :-) ) Meanwhile, Nik will still function perfectly well for some time to come!
                            Cheers;
                            Lee
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                            5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                            17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Meanwhile, Nik will still function perfectly well for some time to come!
                              hope so, I use it often

Comment

Working...
                              X