iOS 11 is 64 bit only ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iOS 11 is 64 bit only ...

Apple will be releasing iOS 11 later this year. It will only support 64 bit apps. Any 32 bit apps will fail to launch. To check if you currently have any 32 bit apps installed: Settings / General / About / Applications will list them. These need to be updated (if possible) or deleted when moving to iOS 11.

Canon CW listed as 32 bit on my iPad.

Re: iOS 11 is 64 bit only ...

As a non-user of Apple products, this strikes me as normal Apple arrogance.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
      As a user of Apple products I find your attitude perplexing, particularly as you say you don't use Apple products. What is it about deprecating old technology that counts as arrogance?
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

this strikes me as normal Apple arrogance.
        Is that arrogance similar to Microsoft arrogance, after they update Windows and some programmes then need updating?

John

Comment

The arrogance I see is in the fact that they decide what you will have, without (I suspect) consultation and do not deign to offer backwards compatibility.
          John Liddle

Comment

OK so first off, Apple announced this move two years ago, that 32bit is going away, and this is the final nail in the coffin. So plenty of warning and current IOS 10 devices show warnings if you run 32 bit apps so it should be really clear what needs to happen. Up until recently developers were required to provide both 32bit and 64 bit code with their apps, I suspect this is done automatically by the Apple tool chain that builds the app for submission so no big deal for the app developers and as my wife, who has loads of small apps on her iPad, has never seen this warning it seems most app developers have done the sensible thing.

As to why they're doing it, it's the same as when we went from 16 to 32 bit. More address space, better end user experience, better performance and in the case of IOS it means not having the overhead of supporting both 32bit and 64bit operation in the same binary and additional complexity in IOS. It really is a win all round. So not a big deal and unless the app developer charges for the 64bit version, which seems a bit cheeky to me, no cost or inconvenience to the end user as they get an updated version when the app is automatically updated.

Except it seems if you want to use a specific app from Canon. So bearing in mind this change has been public knowledge since Feb 2015 and the benefits it brings, and we have history of Canon not upgrading their apps to work with Sierra, how about having a pop at Canon for not supporting their end users instead?
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

64-bit it is the way all Opsys' & Apps are bound. It's been on the cards for years.... No doubt MS will follow shortly... No point in getting het up over it...

Why not have a pop at Adobe who already only support 64-bit in Lightroom 6?
              Cheers;
              Lee
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
              All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
              5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
              17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Well, consider me banished to the naughty step then - if the background info Andy has just provided had been (even) hinted at in the original post I guess my reaction would have been different, but it wasn't and the OP had the air of a warning about it as I read it - just goes to show that the transfer of sufficient and necessary meaningful information is not always straightforward!
                John Liddle

Comment

Nah; makes a change to have a discussion
                  Cheers;
                  Lee
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                  5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                  17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

John, I guess it was a bit of a warning from Enigma. If you want to carry on using that app then don't upgrade to IOS 11...

Lee, MS won't go all 64bit until Intel stop producing hybrid 32/64 bit systems like the Bay Trail Atoms...

Comment

When MS announced W10 it was expected that it would be 64 bit only as it's estimated that >92% of computers are 64 bit. However they did produce a 32 bit version which was viewed as a way of fending of criticism.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

storm in a teacup ,just carry on regardless if something don't work its probably well past its sell by date

Comment

Yep just so Jeff. Did have to buy a new scanner when I moved to 64bit OS a whole back. No 64bit version of driver but it was a bit old.
                          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                            .....No 64bit version of driver but it was a bit old.
                            I hope SWMBO doesn't start looking for a new driver now the current one is a bit old!
                            John Liddle

Comment

It's easy to think that.
                              But bear in mind technology moves on, integrated circuits and processors change and manufacturers drop old technology.
                              If nothing changed we'd still be driving Ford Model T cars.
                              Lots of desktop software has moved to 64 bit, smartphones and tablets will follow as it becomes economically unviable to produce the older processors.
                              Andy
                              Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Working...
                              X