flickr and privacy .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flickr and privacy .

there have recently been a few discussions on privacy and photo theft on the forums ,so if you want to make your flickr photos safer heres the way to do it .
    on the top right of your flickr page click on your icon .when it opens go to settings then privacy/permissions and change the top setting to only you ,job done easy peasy .

often overlooked when signing up and knowing nothing about how the system works

Re: flickr and privacy .

Nice one Jeff , cheers .

Comment

Cheers Jeff - setting now changed
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks for the tip Jeff, setting now changed.
        Canon 70D; Canon 500D; Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C; Sigma 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM C; Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM; Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM; Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS; Canon Speedlite 430EXII; Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Ring Lite; Canon Powershot SX40HS

Ian

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I've also been very casual with my Flickr and Facebook settings.

John

Comment

Thanks Jeff, good call.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

But can you still post pictures here and will anyone be able to see them?
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

i must admit I'm struggling to understand why you would post a photo to a photo sharing site and then set the permissions such that only you can see it...
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

The setting Jeff refers to is for controlling who can download your image, not who can see it.
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Right. Thanks John, that makes more sense.
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

thanks john .
                      yes nigel of course you can .
                      andy i posted this in response to a lot of people worrying about having there images used elsewhere . personally i'm quite happy to let them steal my images ,as i then get pixys.com to sue them ,got me a 1DMKiv with two settlements

Comment

Jeff, I suspect it's not foolproof but will stop casual theft as has been the case with a local steam fair that is using five of my images without my permission or attribution. It's a "for charity" thing so no cash involved but still annoying.

Comment

Thanks for that Jeff, all done
                          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                            I suspect it's not foolproof but will stop casual theft
                            Exactly right ... try selecting largest image size and then saving webpage to desktop - you should then find copy of image on desktop at largest posted size. This should work regardless of flickr download setting.

With a little effort any image can be captured from any site so the rule is that if you publish something it can be downloaded ... only real protection is to deface the image and only upload low-res versions ...

Edit: only real protection is not to upload at all ...

Comment

Yep, that works.

Comment

Working...
                              X