Challenge 131 - Alphabetti Spaghetti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 131 - Alphabetti Spaghetti

The title is Alphabetti Spaghetti. That's just a fun title for a challenge where the subject of the photo must be something in the shape of a letter of the alphabet - although not an actual letter itself, e.g. from a sign.

The previous challenge had a relatively low number of entries, so I am hoping that this will appeal to a good number of you, whether your passion is nature, landscapes, seascapes, buildings, still life, or anything else!

As a "critique" newbie, I will try to judge on technical merit, composition, etc. but I expect that ultimately it will be something that I simply like, as long as it conveys the subject well, of course.

Extra points may be gained from using a "difficult" letter (we can probably all find a Y-shaped branch for instance, but some letters may be trickier) or how obscure or unusual your letter-shaped subject is.

Please abide by the general rules:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for posted entries this time is Midnight BST on Sunday 9th July. I did consider closing on the 2nd July but that seemed a bit short so now you have nearly four weeks to enter.

So please, get shooting and I look forward to seeing the entries.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Challenge 131 - Alphabetti Spaghetti

Ill start you all off with:

'A' greenhouse support bracket at RHS Wisley

5DmkIII 100mm 2.8 IS Macro

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I have been walking round looking at trees and thinking, does that look like "y" LOL.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

"W" is for........

a predated Manx Shearwater on Skomer.

W is for by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

"X" is for ...

Flickr
          Web Page
          Instagram
          Facebook

Comment

A line of 'h's:

The Jurors
            by AlexR!, on Flickr
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

wheel barrow

W (wheel barrow) by Jonathan Goodger, on Flickr
              EOS 60d, EF50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 28-90mm 4-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS, Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 EX DC HSM
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongoodger/

Comment

V for very burnt out building.

IMG_3932 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Sorry disregard this as it was not taken his month. Dave

Comment

Bump! Still open for entries and will be until midnight Sunday 9th July.

Any more than the five so far?!
                    Chris
                    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

An X-A-lent cattle feeder'

IMG_3111 (4) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

In ReMeMbrance.......................

[IMG]Cemetery ll by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks to all who entered. I will hopefully get the judging done and posted at some point today.
                          Chris

Comment

OK, here goes!

Firstly, thanks to everyone who entered. We had seven entries, which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but at least it means that every photo has a one in seven chance, so not bad odds!

This is my first go at judging the challenge entries, so I'll just describe things as I see them, rightly or wrongly, and hope I don't upset anyone!

David Stallard: 'A' Bracket
                            Very well spotted. In an ideal world, and knowing where this is I know that it would be very tricky, it would have been taken from higher up and along, perhaps getting another 'A' in the background. As it is, perhaps it would have benefited from a square(r) crop and I'd also have cloned out the cobweb, but otherwise a good example of the brief.

John Liddle: 'W' Manx Shearwater
                            Very subtle, and once again it's very well spotted. I've seen many Manx shearewater carcasses on Skomer and it's a sad sight. It's nice and sharp but perhaps could have been improved slightly by moving it so that the blade of grass and fern on the left wing didn't interfere with the shot. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd have really wanted to be playing around with a bird carcass just to get a better shot!

Jonathan Teatime: 'X' Ripples
                            I like this - two letters for the price of one and I like the monochromatic style, even though it's actually in colour. I wondered whether just the 'X' on its own would have been better but it would mean cropping from the left and I'm not sure that particular crop would actually work, so I decided I like it more as it is. I assume it's a building or a bridge or something, and this shot makes me interested in seeing the actual source of the reflection.

AlexR!: 'H' The Jurors
                            Ah, lower case letters! I like the repetition here and the low view point. It's well composed and well processed with a moody sky. And I do like a moody sky! The chair in the foreground does look ever so slightly soft to me (perhaps it's my eyes) especially around the corner of the seat and front leg.

Ricewind: 'W' Wheelbarrow
                            The wheelbarrow is nicely central and the tyre is lovely and sharp. Ideally, I'd have liked to have seen a more out-of-focus background but then having a shallower depth of field would also have affected the legs that make up the arms of the 'W'. The brightness & blown out whites of the wheelbarrow body is a bit distracting. I think that a short time with some post-processing would make a good shot even better.

Daisy M: 'X' Cattle feeder
                            Thanks for getting a second entry in having realised the first was ineligible! With this one, I like the way you've taken a shot of some 'V's at an angle so that they become 'X's. The thicker vertical struts on the right spoils the pattern a little, and think that if it were cropped from the right then you'd have a stronger composition. The colours are slightly flat to my eye but I'm guessing it was a dull-ish day. If it had been mine, I think I'd have increased the contrast or saturation a tad to see how that worked, although I do realise though that you're not someone to do too much post-processing.

lunarbo: 'M' Remembrance
                            This is a lovely, vibrant shot of a cemetery; it's sharp and well-composed. I've deliberated for a while on whether the fact that the 'M' is a subtle part of the shot is a good thing or a bad thing, but I've come down on the former. It's a very nice shot and certainly fills the brief.

And without further ado, and in reverse order, I present the top 3:

lunarbo: 'M' Remembrance
                            AlexR!: 'H' The Jurors
                            Jonathan Teatime: 'X' Ripples

Congratulations and well done to everyone who entered. And for Jonathan - lucky you! You now get the honour of setting the next one, which I will look forward to entering.
                            Chris

Comment

Well done Barbara, the minute I saw yours I knew it would win. Thanks Chris for setting a hard competition & your constructive remarks, well judged. Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X