Selling using mpb.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Selling using mpb.com

I think you are paying for the hassle free service....you definitely get less for your gear than you could with more risks and hassle elsewhere. Its not unusual to pay a premium for good service. If you have ever sold via eBay and found the buyer no longer wants your item and doesn't pay and you have to re-list and claim back your costs then you know if its worth it to you.
    I take into account the original purchase discounts that I usually exploit so the cost for using mpb isn't that bad.

I too have been surprised and caught out by eBay costs....so its not just you Nat!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I use various platforms for selling items ,including all the platforms suggested above ,but there is one glaring omission ,the very rapid rise of Facebook selling sites. No fees involved usually a local sale as well I recently advertised some excess camping and caravan items on a local linked (multiple) sites group ,and every item sold at the asking price and all within 24 hours of being advertised with some items attracting multiple buyers .worth considering ,there are also lots of camera gear related sites on faceberk

Comment

Fallow,
        Even trade up is no different, he has to pay VAT on the item he is selling and VAT on the item he is accepting in trade.

On EBay wait until they do their odd no fee days before selling.

Have you considered using Gumtree, fair enough you have to pay cash and collect, but I bought my mint Really Right Stuff tripod on there for £400 cash and that on ebay would have cost me £350 for the head alone, the tripod itself is a £800 item.

From the site

What will my ad cost me?

Great question. There is no one price. Most of the ads on Gumtree are free, and the price will depend on whether you choose to feature your ad or not. We do charge for ads posted in Cars, Services, Property and Jobs though. The best way to know what it’s gonna cost you is to create a test ad (without posting it). Your price will be quoted at the bottom of the page.
        Last edited by TonyT; 20-06-2017, 09:22.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Brian, you are quite right about the buyer refusing to pay for an item. Only recently I sold a mint portable CD player on Ebay (as my granddaughter wanted a proper,larger one). The buyer made several bids right through to the final bid price, won the item and then later changed her mind and said that she did not want it and it was her right to refuse to pay for me!!!!!!! I later on donated the item to the local hospice!!! I will certainly not use higher priced photographic equipment on Ebay as a general rule.

Re: facebook as suggested by Jeff, I am very wary of advertising anything on facebook as it is the happy hunting grounds for scammers & other miscreants. A few months ago, I opened an advert on facebook and got caught to scammers who locked out my computer and then managed to take over £650 from my credit card account. Don't know how they did/do it. I did get a refund of my money but after some wrangles with the credit card company,and involved Action fraud as well in the process. I use facebook a lot to post my comments,to contact old friends/keep in touch with friends & some photos and leave it at that.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 20-06-2017, 09:33.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat I only sell things on Facebook that are collection only ,no posting so no credit card dealings .ideal for heavy items this weeks sales include a 75 amp leisure battery and a 5 berth tent ,when I advertise it also goes into several local marketplace groups so the ads are seen in 30 mile radius

Comment

Nothing personal Jeff. What I said was that after my experience with a fraudster, I am totally against opening any link on facebook that do not come within the main area- the ones that appear on the side. This is advice I have received from Action Fraud and I am quite happy with that. I am still working with Action Fraud and the local police to find the fraudster who collected the money via Western Union with a Manchester link.Each to his/her own devices.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Whenever I upgrade, its almost always part-ex.

Each time I get quotes from WEX, MPB, LCE, and Camera World.

WEX have always come up with the best deal, but with MPB a close second. In my experience to date, the other two have never been 'in the running'.

So, although I have yet to do business with them, MPB do come across as a decent bunch to deal with.
                Dave

Comment

Bought my used 500mm through LCE. And had no problems, I got about 500 knocked off the advertised price.. Worth haggling.
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                  X