Orchid in the courtyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orchid in the courtyard

We are very fortunate to have a clump of Common Spotted orchids growing at the front of the house, but they have gone over now. This one however has managed to find its way into the courtyard at the back of the house and is some way behind the others in development. I know the background is a bit busy, but hey, things are what they are!

Common Spotted Orchid by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Orchid in the courtyard

Nice and sharp, think I'd blur the background a little more, but I like the shot

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll second that!
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I'll third it
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Looks OK to me , agreed the back ground is very slightly distracting , maybe shooting with a longer lens or with a wider aperture might help . From my experience it`s harder to get a perfect plant / flower photo than it looks , especially in the outdoors .

Comment

Well looking at this one, apart from the background, it is an identical composition and flower to that which I posted the other day and to which has got very little interest - National Trust must have liked it as already they have used it for publicity.

Anyway, the secret of shooting flowers is to ensure they take centre stage and when I shot mine, I could have had a similar distracting background as other grasses and bits were quite near, so all I did was move around, lie flat on the ground and shot at a very slight upward angle so that the sky became the background

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Thanks to all who have looked and commented.

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              .......so all I did was move around, lie flat on the ground and shot at a very slight upward angle so that the sky became the background - Stan
              You were fortunate to be able to do that Stan - no scope for such gymnastics here I'm afraid, with the combination of buildings and/or walls on three sides and the only open sky being directly into the sun.
              John Liddle

Comment

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom
                  John Liddle

Comment

Common Orchids seem to have done very well this year; seen plenty around and about... lucky you to have them in your courtyard...
                    Cheers;
                    Lee
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks Lee - we certainly are lucky to have them living in such close proximity!
                      John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                      X