Mono Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mono Fox

I know it`s a bit busy with all the long grasses , but I thought it rather typical of where you would see a fox looking for small mammals , the light was very bright and harsh , and the whites were suffering , but I thought I would have a go at rescuing and black and white seemed to be a good solution . I don`t think it turned out to bad , what do you peeps think ?

Mono Fox by Mark Powter, on Flickr

Re: Mono Fox

I really like that and it works well mono
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I think it's great Mark. I see foxes almost everyday and this is the typical way you see them
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Nice detail on ears well focused

Tom

Comment

Thanks Ian , Tom and Trev , much appreciated .

Comment

Hi Mark; I quite like this, but I feel it needs a little help... Tonally it's quite flat across the image and the fox doesn't really stand out... I'd suggest two 'enhancements' (IMO); Lighten the whole image; then mask off the fox so he stays darker; then, add some more contrast to foxy. I had a quick play and it looked way better to my eye... Ignore, of course, as you see fit
            Cheers;
            Lee
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
            5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
            17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Thanks Lee , I don`t do many mono conversions , and I am sure your enhancements will have improved it . I do struggle to get my head round layers and masks and stuff , perhaps one day , at present I am still not over keen on to many enhancements , to much of it and it looses the picture you took in the first place .

Comment

Looking good
                Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

I like it anyway, I don't worry too much about grass obstructing, it's real, it's there and you are capturing reality

Regards Paul

Comment

not keen on wildlife in mono unless the colours are more or less black and white to start with. That aside, for a mono conversion to work you need a good range of tones from dark to light ( one of the things I learnt years ago when doing an open university course) and not like with this one, most of the tones being in the middle

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Thanks for all the further comments and critique , it`s good to get the varied opinions .

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                        Thanks Lee , I don`t do many mono conversions , and I am sure your enhancements will have improved it . I do struggle to get my head round layers and masks and stuff , perhaps one day , at present I am still not over keen on to many enhancements , to much of it and it looses the picture you took in the first place .
                        Hi Mark;

I'm sure that all of us would rather not have to spend time post-processing, and if we strive to get things right in-camera we can certainly reduce that time; but I see no point in spending several thousand pounds on high-quality kit if we're not prepared to make that effort to maximise the potential of a shot...

What I suggested would take a matter of seconds and is not at all difficult.

As it happens I like monochrome wildlife images. I have a number in my collection, including one of a fox (which you can see here if you wish). Many of the world's top wildlife photographers shoot specifically for monochrome imaging...

It's always worth doing a quick mono conversion to see if it's going to work, but few images do, unless you have set out to achieve a mono shot; it's a different state of mind. As Stan says more adequately than I initially did, you need a full tonal range to give a mono image a punch. Flat tones don't work...

Anyhow that's my bit done; as usual - ignore as you wish - no offence meant and none will be taken
                        Cheers;
                        Lee
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
                        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
                        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Working...
                        X