Thinking..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking..........

I have currently a 7D Mk2 that I use for a lot of action, high speed action photography. I have used previously my Sigma 150-600 S, but was at Silverstone a couple of weeks ago and used my canon 70-200 f2.8 non IS with a Canon series lll 1.4 extender. Got some great shots, the Sigma weighs so much i have to use a monopod and a pack of paracetamol per day. My question is that I'm thinking of selling my Sigma 150-600 (and a Tamron 24-70 f2.8) and buying a Mk1 Canon 70-200 IS L, or the Sigma 70-200 EX DG APO OS HSM version, I have the Sigma 1.4 EX DG extender too. Looking at buying a Mk 1 Canon 100-400 IS L to complement them.......

Anyone got any thoughts on this plan.....................

Here's some of my images
    8O9A2373.jpg8O9A1050.jpg8O9A3124.jpg8O9A2396.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave440; 21-06-2017, 11:33.

Re: Thinking..........

Why not bite the bullet and trade the Sigma in for the 100-400mm MkII? Weighs the same as the 70-200 f2.8, is more up to date and reviews say it's as sharp as a sharp thing... OK it's not compatible with the Canon 1.4x extender but I suspect that it's would be OK with the Kenko 1.4 if you desperately needed a bit more reach...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
      Why not bite the bullet and trade the Sigma in for the 100-400mm MkII? Weighs the same as the 70-200 f2.8, is more up to date and reviews say it's as sharp as a sharp thing... OK it's not compatible with the Canon 1.4x extender but I suspect that it's would be OK with the Kenko 1.4 if you desperately needed a bit more reach...
      I think you will find the MkII is extender-compatible
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
        But only at f/8 - which is much slower than the Sigma's f/6.3 - which itself isn't 'fast'...
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_User View Post
          But only at f/8 - which is much slower than the Sigma's f/6.3 - which itself isn't 'fast'...
          no wrong end of the stick the 100-400 is a f5.6 so should work with a t.c on the appropriate body ,but will only stop down to f8 !!

Comment

however i'm thinking along those lines myself due to galloping old age .i already have a nearly new sigma 70-200 f2.8 o.s and its a super fast sharp lens that also works well with the sigma 1.4t.c .
            there are a couple of alternatives to consider as well as a mk1 100-400 ,theres the 400mm f.5.6 prime which has stood the test of time and also the new sigma 100-400 both of which will (should) work with the sigma t.c .
            t.c compatibility is a thorn in the side as some makes /models/types work with certain camera/lens combos others won't its a suck it and see situation

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post

So it is - apparently. The US site makes no mention of extender in either the blurb or under the relevant accessories page but the UK site does (and also says so in the specs). Neither exactly seem to mention this as a feature in the main blurb - maybe they need to make things a bit clearer...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Mk 3 tc on the 100-400 Mk 2 I find slow to focus and that's on a 1dx
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Not sure i can justify to myself a Mk2, but looking at possibly a Mk1 IS L

Comment

It is, :)

Comment

I'll have to see, Ive got both the Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO and the Canon 1.4x lll. Might bite the bullet and buy a s/h 100-400 Mk1 IS L and see. If i like it, maybe ill just sell off my Tamron 24-70 f2.8. Kinda like the big sigma, its just heavy :)

Comment

should AF at f8 on my 7D Mk2 and 5D Mk3

Comment

may well go for a 100-400 Mk1, with the crop factor and 1.4x it's nearly a 900mm f8. I could probably live with that :)

Comment

Dave, you say East Midlands, where in the East Midlands? I have a 100-400 MK1 and if you want to try it on your body you are welcome, as long as not miles away. I also have a x2 111 converter you could try in conjunction with it.
                            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Dave lets go back to basics here ,you say you have the sig monster and a 7D2 (gripped or ungripped) it makes a difference . If you read on I'll explain ,I also use the sig monster but on a 1Dmkiv which is a lot heavier than the 7d ,and I use mine on walkabout all day with no problems .o.k I,m a big lad but fast approaching 72 ,so what's the secret .its all down to centre of gravity I use mine with a slightly modified black rapid strap and a long 550mm tripod plate the strap attaches to the front of the plate and to one of the lens lugs .
                              When I hold it in the air with one hand the whole rig balances perfectly level .it takes all the weight out of carrying it around .i have used a 7D2 and a 80d (gripped) with it but in all honesty I find the cameras to light to achieve a good balance ,making the lens front heavy and thus awkward to transport . read this through a couple of times and think about it before wasting money .
                              And btw the 100-400 plus 1.4 tc will only give a effective length of 560mm which will also be lessened by zoom focus breathing ,also your viewfinder will be very dim .the sig monster will also take a t.c giving a effective focal length of 840 mm .you really cannot take the cameras crop factor into the equation

Comment

Working...
                              X