Thinking..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking..........

This is a discussion that has come up a number of times, on this and other forums, and there is no one solution that suits all.

Primarily, for most people, its a matter of what you can afford, and we all have our dream lenses. For me it would be the 600mm f/4 L prime, but at around £8k, that is not going to happen.

My first quality long lens was the 400mm f/5.6 L prime, and what a razor sharp lens it was. I used this with the 1.4x lll TC, to give me 560mm with the 5D3. The results were excellent, but there were times when image stabilisation would have been useful, also the ability to zoom out.

I seriously considered the Sigma 150_600s, but was put off by the weight. I could of course have gone for the C version, but like the dust/weather sealing on a lens.

The next option was the 100-400 L Mk1, but it was quite dated, and it's reputation for being a 'dust pump' was off putting.

So I bit the expensive bullet, and traded the 400mm prime in for the 100-400 L Mkll, and it has not disappointed, it is razor sharp, even with the 1.4x inline, very fast focussing, and of course image stabilisation.

Seeking more reach, I bought a 7D Mkll, but was soon disappointed with the amount of noise at higher ISO.

I then traded the 7d ll and the 5d3, for the new 5d lV. I haven't got any more reach than I had with the 5d3, but the higher number of pixels, allows me to zoom in during processing, and crop to a greater extent than with the 5d3.

All in all it adds up to an expensive venture, but I am in photography heaven, Albeit an awful lot poorer.

The bottom line is that I can certainly recommend the 100-400L Mkll, both with and without the 1.4x lll. With the TC inline, it's f/8 and centre point focus only.
    Last edited by Dave_S; 05-07-2017, 19:13. Reason: Typos
    Dave

Comment

The next option was the 100-400 L Mk1, but it was quite dated, and it's reputation for being a 'dust pump' was off putting.
      That is one of those things that always annoyed me, probably started by someone that had an issue with a defective lens and spread like wildfire amongst photographers and the reputation was born... Mine has never had an issue, but what gets me is by design they are all dust pumps, so the MK1 had the trombone zoom ( which I like) the MK2 (which I also own) by design has to let air in as you zoom, all zooms do, otherwise you would have a vacuum inside. so whether a twist or slide zoom, they all have the same feature, they suck air in as it zooms.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Taking a step back here. Could I suggest the OP looks at his photography stats to see what percentage of his images are shot at what focal lengths to help analyse exactly what lens would be most useful. I'm assuming he is a Lightroom user but don't know if other software allows you to do this

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by taxboy View Post
          Taking a step back here. Could I suggest the OP looks at his photography stats to see what percentage of his images are shot at what focal lengths to help analyse exactly what lens would be most useful. I'm assuming he is a Lightroom user but don't know if other software allows you to do this

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
          Far to sensible, thinking like that will never catch on..

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
          X