I don't do Black & White.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't do Black & White.

I don't do black & white; complete waste of time. Why even bother when we have colour, which is far more realistic and how you actually saw it.

Then you see a shot that shatters all of your previously held views ........... never too old to learn I suppose!

Colin

Re: I don't do Black & White.

The master has returned ! ! ! with an upgraded EOS 1DX.
    So simple yet so expressive. Everything hits the mark.
    David

Comment

Yep. Had to be Mono!

A classic shot
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Hate to say this to somebody as experienced as you, but... sorry to say Colin; this one doesn't float my boat...

IMO the false grain in the clouds doesn't sit well with the rest of the image, made worse by the harsh ridge along the line of the chimney... Sorry!
        Cheers;
        Lee
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
        All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
        5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
        17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Fair comment Lee, we can't get it right all of the time.

Perhaps I was carried away with the raw emotion of the place, howling winds and rain and I really wanted the mean 'n moody shot. So on the computer, played with a few bits to convey what I was feeling at the time.

As it said in the title, I don't do Black & White so I am not particularly experienced in what works and what doesn't. Always happy to receive advice though. This is the original shot before any tinkering. Would I have been better off leaving it as it was?

Colin

Comment

Hi Colin; hope you didn't take offense!!! None intended...

I understand what you say about drawing out the emotion of the place, and there's clearly bags of data in the image that can be pulled out to do so; I simply dislike the grain effect of the original... I'm sure you don't need me to comment on PP work - I've seen your older posts
            Cheers;
            Lee
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
            5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
            17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Always happy with honest criticism and never take offence. It's only a photo and none of us get it right all of the time, but the original posted shot reminds me more of how oppressive the scene was originally and how flipping wet me and my gear got taking the shot. A tribute to Canon's waterproofing.

My photography buddy stayed in the car .............. very sensible!
              Colin

Comment

Nothing wrong with mono Colin.
                Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

the shot on here looks a bit noisy (what Lee was refering to ?) but looks much better on photobucket, once you get past the numerous ads that jump out. Flickr is usually better with the bonus that you can view exif info which does not seem to be available on photobucket

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Yes, your getting there Colin with this Photography lark. You'll be doing birds next I expect. lol. Nice to see you back.

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
                      Yes, your getting there Colin with this Photography lark. You'll be doing birds next I expect. lol. Nice to see you back.
                      Thanks Treff.

Birds heh? Hmmm, that may be something worth having a go at!
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                        The master has returned ! ! ! with an upgraded EOS 1DX.
                        So simple yet so expressive. Everything hits the mark.
                        Ditto
                        Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X