The shape of things to come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shape of things to come

Apple today announced it's adding RAW processing capability to its next i.phone and I.pad updates ios11 .having just upgraded to a i.phone 6s and seen how good the cameras are in these super phones I do wonder if camera toting photographers will soon be a thing of the past ,I was watching people last week while on holiday using there phones and I.pads as cameras .once a decent zoom capability and fast focussing takes effect we are probably doomed .
    Seventeen years ago we could just about use our phones to make a call or send a text these days it's like science fiction .whats next ???

Re: The shape of things to come

I think phones can easily (and have done) take over for people who have only ever used "auto" on their compacts or DSLRs (which used to be me) but until there are more manual controls (Av & Tv) on phones then real cameras will rule for those who appreciate the art of photography.

I await the iPhone 12 with full control!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Hmm, a much discussed topic.

Yes the cameras in phones have come a long way and for things like general scenes and portraits where you can get reasonably close to the subject they work well. Some magazine covers have used images shot with a phone.

But for something like bird/nature photography they're a non starter.

There will need to be a massive technology leap before a device of this size can get anywhere near the capability of current high end cameras.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
        Apple today announced it's adding RAW processing capability to its next i.phone and I.pad updates ios11
        Not quite correct ... the 6s can already capture RAW on iOS 10 using LR. What Apple announced for iOS 11 is support for new still and video formats, HEIF and HEVC, which deliver better compression capability. I believe they are non-proprietary standards so presumably Adobe and others will support them soon - if they don't already.

Comment

My 7+ has raw capabilities. I love the quality and indeed on that thread about downsizing, I wasn't joking that for many, many purposes the 7+ is more than adequate. But when you want/need good quality glass, low light performance, etc etc, it still doesn't cut the mustard. But with LR mobile, photoshop mix, and a host of apps, I simply love it. You can see the fun that you can have with it (if you want to create the sort of stuff I am doing, of course!!! A very big IF I know) here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskWj4mf2. Oh, and HDR within LR is amazing.

But I won't be giving up my 5Diii (or aspirationally 5Div) anytime soon...
          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

For a bigger range see here: https://goo.gl/H6Y8fT

Richard

Comment

Well done Richard, amazing what you can do with a smart phone.

Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone. The thing I use didn't even pass the 11 plus!
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                Well done Richard, amazing what you can do with a smart phone.

Unfortunately I don't have a smart phone. The thing I use didn't even pass the 11 plus!
                But I bet you remember slide rules! I cannot quite believe that I used to use one, even my partner doesn't know what one is!

But seriously the smartphones of today are seriously good!

Comment

I do recall slide rules, vernier callipers and computers the size of a bungalow. And the average smart phone can do more than that huge computer could.
                  Colin

Comment

There's laws of physics, or something like that, that which limit what you can currently get in terms of quality from the small lens and sensor in a phone but even then they're easily good enough to have almost completely destroyed the cheap compact market. A lot of those limits will need to be worked around before a phone will be able to compete in quality terms with even 1" sensors such as those in the Sony RX100 series cameras. And even those are lacking compared to APS-C never mind full-frame or larger when it comes to recovering shadows for example.

And that's without considering the longer lenses needed for wildlife and sport. I wonder how would that work with a phone small enough to fit in your pocket and be usable to shoot something like a small bird at a distance using a phone held at arms length...
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                      There's laws of physics, or something like that, that which limit what you can currently get in terms of quality from the small lens and sensor in a phone but even then they're easily good enough to have almost completely destroyed the cheap compact market. A lot of those limits will need to be worked around before a phone will be able to compete in quality terms with even 1" sensors such as those in the Sony RX100 series cameras. And even those are lacking compared to APS-C never mind full-frame or larger when it comes to recovering shadows for example.

And that's without considering the longer lenses needed for wildlife and sport. I wonder how would that work with a phone small enough to fit in your pocket and be usable to shoot something like a small bird at a distance using a phone held at arms length...
                      I can envisage new materials changing the current "laws" of lenses. I am no physicist, or indeed scientist at all, but I think envisaging the future is always difficult. We are so blindsided by our current realities. How many of our fathers, let alone grandfathers would have envisaged digital cameras with the capacities that we have today using the computing power we have at our fingertips. Witness the brief foray into slide rules above! That said, I am sticking with my DSLRs for a time yet!

Comment

Funny that the very next Petapixel article I read was this: https://petapixel.com/2017/06/22/cal...camera-future/

Comment

Even with current phones we often forget the accessory market of the Chinese producers ,there are already a host of add on lenses for most phones including wide angle and telephoto ,it's a sleeping giant waiting in the sidelines ,I give it another 3 to 4 years and two will meet ,the other day we spotted a frog in our little group of micro ponds in the garden ,to take a photo I would have had to go back in the house to get my camera and change lenses ,my lad simply whipped out his i.phone 7s and took a few close ups ,and then instantly uploaded them to Facebook ,we are definetly in danger of becoming dinosaurs

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                            Funny that the very next Petapixel article I read was this: https://petapixel.com/2017/06/22/cal...camera-future/
                            My exposure to optics is not particularly great but in terms of photography I always consider it to be similar to hifi where the rule was always spend more on your deck than the amp and more on the amp than on your speakers. Because you can't get back what you don't put in. So the best sensor in the world won't be able to recover a crap image from a poor lens.

So unless they can produce image quality without the lens where the whole point of the lens is to focus light, I don't see how that can work. I'll wait and see.

The other point they make at that article is to make phones paper-thing. Unless you can plug in a power supply that fits in your paper thin phone then that's a no, No and NO from me! Battery life is so poor on smart phones as it is...

For those that like to read a bit more, there's an article here on how the iPhone camera works - http://www.androidauthority.com/dual...lained-781993/ which fits squarely in the category of a workaround.

This article here is also worth a look - http://www.androidauthority.com/beyo...6-dslr-725511/ - as it's about the Light 16 camera which is due to start shipping in mid July. This is the one that has a large number of lenses that allow it to "zoom" from 25mm to 150mm by using a range of prime lenses and using selective crops from their images to produce a composite image at different focal lengths. The inventor has marketed it as a DSLR replacement - apparently his phone isn't good enough but he got tired of carrying a DSLR as a second device so he designed a second device to carry instead of his DSLR. No that makes no sense to me. Oh and apparently it costs around $1600.

Apparently the grunt needed for the image processing requirements is so much that it won't run sensibly in the device itself and all it can do is generate a low-grade 3MP image with the higher quality, 52MP output, being generated once you get your camera home and can process your images on your high-powered PC.

The good news is that they plan to produce a version with 600mm lenses at the long end so we can all stop carrying our $12k DSLRs and lenses. Good luck with getting a decent lock on a sparrow in a tree with that...

As you can possibly tell, I'm very cynical about the current puff around phone cameras replacing interchangeable lens cameras any time soon. For some uses, yes. But not for most uses...
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                              Even with current phones we often forget the accessory market of the Chinese producers ,there are already a host of add on lenses for most phones including wide angle and telephoto ,it's a sleeping giant waiting in the sidelines ,I give it another 3 to 4 years and two will meet ,the other day we spotted a frog in our little group of micro ponds in the garden ,to take a photo I would have had to go back in the house to get my camera and change lenses ,my lad simply whipped out his i.phone 7s and took a few close ups ,and then instantly uploaded them to Facebook ,we are definetly in danger of becoming dinosaurs
                              The best camera you can use is the one you have with you but now well would the shot have come out if the frog was in the middle of a pond 10yards in diameter and your lad only had an iPhone?

Comment

Working...
                              X