Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The shape of things to come

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
    The best camera you can use is the one you have with you but now well would the shot have come out if the frog was in the middle of a pond 10yards in diameter and your lad only had an iPhone?
    Horses for courses! While the best camera you have is the one you have with you, sometimes the one you have with you is as useful as a chocolate teapot. But that is true of my DSLR when I have my 50mm lens on and I want to photograph the moon!
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
      Horses for courses! While the best camera you have is the one you have with you, sometimes the one you have with you is as useful as a chocolate teapot. But that is true of my DSLR when I have my 50mm lens on and I want to photograph the moon!
      Indeed.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

....but you can't change exposure at all on a phone..no exposure compensation never mind any manual control....take a picture into the sun and you just get a silhouette.

take a well lit image and one that doesn't spoil by the distortion of the wide angle and they are fine....anything else and you're snookered.

Most iPhone images I've seen praised are either displayed on a 4" LCD or printed even smaller in a magazine....apart from the vista used on iPhone adverts on billboards by the motorway which never get seen from closer that 250 yards.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          ....but you can't change exposure at all on a phone..no exposure compensation never mind any manual control....take a picture into the sun and you just get a silhouette.
          Not actually true Brian. There are camera apps that give you total control over aperture, speed and ISO. Even the basic camera on an iPhone allows you to change the exposure - simply by tapping on the screen and then dragging down or up... And you can have HDR (either in camera or through Lightroom Mobile) The flexibility is enormous...

Of course there are limitations. All I am saying is that there is vastly more creative flexibility than there ever used to be. There are even apps to simulate (an important word here) slow exposure speeds. Amazing stuff!

Look at this for what can be done (using an iPhone and a variety of apps on the phone):

"Anachronisms Rule, OK!"
          by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

I don't think that is bad and it blows up quite nicely... (Incidentally it is processed to look like an "old master" so some of the imperfections are designed to be there)

Best

Richard

PS: I have included an iPhone photograph just because I think it illustrates one of the issues that Canon will be facing over time... Robert, if you don't like it being here, feel free to delete it...
          Last edited by rcarca; 27-06-2017, 19:42.

Comment

Thanks Richard.....Yes I have used that to change brightness....it changes shutter and ISO but as far as I know it can't change aperture.....so it changes brightness but not light exposure to the sensor....maybe I'm picking hairs but it remains that control of exposure and dof are limited. The only dof control is to change the relative distances of objects....but there is little point with such a wide angle.
            I've used snapseed and can get some good effects...I'm yet to try printing from any of these images though.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              Thanks Richard.....Yes I have used that to change brightness....it changes shutter and ISO but as far as I know it can't change aperture.....so it changes brightness but not light exposure to the sensor....maybe I'm picking hairs but it remains that control of exposure and dof are limited. The only dof control is to change the relative distances of objects....but there is little point with such a wide angle.
              Good point. I have a Moto G4 and before that a Galaxy Note 4 and both of them seemed unable to shoot other than wide open. And neither of them had apps that allowed me manual control. So f2.0 or f1.9 and 1//519 it is. Quite odd really, or is the sensor so small and the focal length so short that you get massive DOF at f2.0 and stopping down is irrelevant anyway?
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Yes I think that is the case...tiny sensor! Not sure if the Kodak phone is any better?
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

So good luck with out of focus backgrounds with the current generation then.

Comment

I've a Galaxy S7 and it has a selective focus option so you can get OOF backgrounds. Enter the pro mode and you're shooting RAW and can control ISO, shutter speed, metering, AF and exposure comp.

I've taken some images that have surprised me it terms of IQ. Still very limited though so OK for scenes and portraits.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

The Samsung sounds impressive....does it artificially blur areas to achieve a dof effect or is it / can it be real.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

The iPhone 7+ uses two cameras with lenses of different focal lengths to capture two perspectives. These are then used to generate a sharp subject with a blur background creating an impression of shallow DoF.

I find my 6s to be a perfectly adequate pocket camera for general shots but would never consider it a replacement for my 5D.

Comment

Not really played with the selective focus option much.
                          Sat in coffee shop at moment and this is straight image with focus on my knee (don't know why it's rotated)
                          1498640843342.jpg

You can clearly see fabric texture and furniture OOF.

Tried with selective focus and it appears a couple. of images are taken as you can view the image and choose near, far or pan focus. Pan seems to combine both images so all is in focus.
                          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                            So good luck with out of focus backgrounds with the current generation then.
                            iPhone 7+ does it artificially using two lenses. Darned impressive, albeit slightly restrictive when it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                              iPhone 7+ does it artificially using two lenses. Darned impressive, albeit slightly restrictive when it will work.
                              Aye, saw that. One of those "work arounds" I mentioned back at the start. I suspect unavoidable with the size of the sensor and relationship to DOF that brings.

Some interesting reverse-engineering here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/i...ed-sensor-size suggests the sensor in the wide-angle camera has a crop factor of 7.21 and focal length of 3.9mm. Interesting stuff...

Comment

Working...
                              X