• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sea Eagle

Originally posted by Dawesy View Post
    Superb capture
    Thanks Steve

I notice you have "A big dose of luck" within your signature and that always helps, although we can do a lot to tip lady luck in our favour.

For this shot I was on a boat with five other photographers that I didn't know. They all had the right kit and the gift of the gab. On the way out they were very kind to tell me how good they were at photography, what wonderful photos they had published etc., etc. I didn't say much, mostly because I couldn't get a word in edgeways, but I did mention that I was indeed fortunate to be in the company of so many Pro Wildlife Photographers.

Eventually we had some action and I always try to anticipate the shot and squeeze off three at a time. All around me could be heard the motor drives of 1DX's and D5's in full machine gun mode. After the action, we naturally did a bit of "Chimping" and they got some good shots as one would expect, but not the three crucial shots of Talons, Splash and Grab. Pretty close to, but not the decisive moments. They moaned amongst themselves and eventually remembered I was on the boat and asked to see my shots. The trip back to the harbour was rather more quiet.

Lady luck smiled on me at just the right time. Let your pictures do the talking.
    Colin

Comment

Very nice. Managed to photograph these birds on trip to Skye. Didn't manage to get the sequence you mention. Light was quite poor and overcast.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Fine shot Colin.
        Canon 70D; Canon 500D; Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM C; Sigma 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM C; Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM; Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM; Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS; Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS; Canon Speedlite 430EXII; Yongnuo YN14EX Macro Ring Lite; Canon Powershot SX40HS

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          They moaned amongst themselves and eventually remembered I was on the boat and asked to see my shots. The trip back to the harbour was rather more quiet.
          Yes, humility, aka keeping your gob shut when you don't know all the people around you, is a vastly underrated personal behaviour.

Cracking shot Colin
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Beginners Luck ! You get a sea eagle down at the local paddling pool and I end up with Daffy. There just ain't no justice. LOL.
            Great picture.

Comment

Working...
            X