New from Tamron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from Tamron

Not seen anything posted up yet - what do you guys n girls reckon? initial tests look pretty good on Tamron's new offering 18-400 and ONLY £649

WEX link

Good sample images here

Could be a game changer for travel / sports.

So - discuss

.DAVID.
    Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Re: New from Tamron

Mmmm - won't be on my shopping list anytime soon methinks...

22x zoom; 'custom' dictates that a maximum of 5x (and preferably 4x) is 'best' for best quality. Bridge and super-zooms provide these magnifications, but rarely match IQ from 'dedicated' zoom ranges...

f/6.3 @ 400; Quite slow and not wide enough for a good shallow DoF...

'only' £649... You pay's yer money and takes yer chance! If it sounds too good to be true... etc.

Real world use & samples 'may' prove me wrong, and it may well suit some budgets and requirements if a user is really looking for a 'one-size-fits-all' solution; but 'one-size-fits-all' solutions must by definition compromise on multiple fronts; and my sense is that a good bridge (like the G3X say) is highly likely to provide an all over better option!!!
    Cheers;
    Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
    5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
    17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post

Could be a game changer for travel / sports.
      Hi David

Anything that gets people into serious photography gets my vote and this is certainly a versatile lens, which would be ideal for travel photography in good light if you don't want to carry too much equipment..

A few thoughts come to mind though:

Good sample pics, but they would be. No company would show iffy pics, but we should be able to duplicate them in similar conditions.

It is for APS-C sensors, so that excludes full frame bodies.

It is f6.3 at the long end and that limits it in poor light, plus it is likely to slow the autofocusing.

Zooms start to end up with too many design and manufacturing compromises when they get over 4x and even with modern CAD and CAM, I am a touch sceptical that Tamron can maintain the quality throughout the 22.2x range.

Having said that, if I had a cropped body, and subject to taking a few sample shots myself, there are times when "She Who Must be Obeyed" is quite clear that we are on holiday and not a photographic expedition and under those conditions, I would probably buy one.
      Colin

Comment

All fair points of course, I agree though if it helps to get someone on the path to more serious photography then it's got to be a good thing yes!

As a 'on holiday' lens it looks like a great way to get some pretty good memories without taking the main kit (never going to happen with us - Cory and I plan our holidays around the camera's lol)

Good light only - the new breed of crop sensors have crazy iso 'cleanliness' so not really an issue, speed of focus maybe an issue but again - £649 . . . . . for a walkabout set up it makes sense.

.DAVID.

PS: Great to see you about again Colin, missed you!
        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Personally I would opt for the sigma 100-400 which is tuneable via the USB hub and only a bit dearer ,or you can get the sigma 150-600C for not much more .once the price point settles it might be worth looking at though

Comment

That does look amazing.....and unless you are blowing up images really big like A2 I bet its more than adequate.
            Who needs absolute technical quality all the time....unless you are being paid

to answer your question...for travel yes I think it could be a game changer.

With good separation of background you can get a good dof effect as per the samples even at f6.3
            Last edited by @imagesBV; 25-06-2017, 19:45.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              Personally I would opt for the sigma 100-400 which is tuneable via the USB hub and only a bit dearer ,or you can get the sigma 150-600C for not much more .once the price point settles it might be worth looking at though
              Not so good at the wide end though
              Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Originally posted by Coolcat View Post
                Not so good at the wide end though
                My thought exactly. Why would someone recommend a lens with a minimum 150mm when the Tamron goes down to 18?
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/150977425@N05/

Comment

I had one of the earlier versions of a tamron superzoom can't remember the exact range but it was possibly 28-300 ,it lasted exactly a day and was returned ,your better off with a bridge camera for those ranges

Comment

I have the Tamron 18-270 for a few years and it is my walk around lens and I now use it on the M5.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X