Zoom lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom lens

I have a Canon 1100D and a 75-300mm zoom lens. Can anyone recommend another lens around the 600mm range please.

Re: Zoom lens

this forum is "how to post images on the forum" so I doubt you will get any replies - there is a specific forum, down the page for lenses

However, resonable lenses in the 600mm range are the models by both Tamron and Sigma - the best being the Sigma 150-600 sport at around £1200 or the C version a few hundred cheaper. Both are quite to very heavy and for balence I think you may struggle using with the 1100D which is quite light and basic

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Any lens around the 600mm range is a big heavy beast to wield around and if a zoom, relatively slow to focus. Much depends on what you are going to use it for and whether hand held, or on a tripod, or monopod.

If you want an absolute recommendation, it has to be the Canon 600mm F4 L IS, but you may need to sell your soul to the Devil to afford it and spend a few months in the gym to be able to wield it. Do you really need 600mm? If it's for wildlife, developing your field craft could get you closer where a 400mm, or a 400mm and a 1.4x extender could do the job. That way you end up with a lighter, faster, more versatile combination.

Perhaps a canon 400mm F5.6, or a MKII 100 - 400mm may fit the bill. Good luck with your choice and congratulations on your first post.
      Colin

Comment

Hmmm a rather all encompassing statement Colin ,I use the sigma 150-600 sport and it'd extremely fast to focus ,BUT you do need the right body to get the best from it ,a 1100d is far to slow .i also hand hold mine 99% of the time as other forum members will testify to .
        Also I think you will find a 400 and a t.c won't autofocus on a 1100d . But I do agree with your statement re learning field craft to get closer to the subject .

Comment

Welcome to the forums George

Without breaking the budget and something that may be more manageable I would probably look at a good used 100-400L 1st version and the 1.4X Teleconverter, which will give you a reach of 560, Though you would have to check if it auto-focuses etc, go into a shop and try one... you don't need to buy it form them.
          There is a 2 times but it can be slower to focus in my opinion, that would then in effect give you two lenses in one. Good luck with your choice. Though the Sigma / Tamrons mentioned are very good,as is the canon 400mm F5.6.
          Last edited by TonyT; 26-06-2017, 09:04.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Though you would have to check if it auto-focuses etc, go into a shop and try one...
            it wont as with the converter the aperture will become f8 and of course the 1100D and most other basic cameras will only af to f5.6
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              it wont as with the converter the aperture will become f8 and of course the 1100D and most other basic cameras will only af to f5.6
              Not necessarily, my 40D will autofocus at f8 equivalent, albeit it tends to require either good light or strong contrast to do so. It possibly also seems to depend on the lens too - with the 70-200 f4L it's still quite quick and pretty accurate but with the near-historical 70-210 f4 it's not so hot.

Of course the 40D is higher up the pecking order than an 1100D and the AF sensor may be a bit more sophisticated and sensitive. I certainly would never recommend using a TC and lens that goes over 5.6 but if you can try it an find that the combo works then it can be a handy emergency back up. I wouldn't have gotten my Sitting Duck shot without the 2x converter combined with the f4L...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

I only started out with a basic camera to see how I got on. I am now somewhat hooked only wildlife photography hence the query about a zoom lens. It looks to me that I really need a camera upgrade before I start buying quality zoom lenses. Money being somewhat limited can anyone recommend a camera around £1000 mark and dealers as well please.

Comment

Yes first off don't buy new it's a waste of money ,depends on your own requirements but I have recently bought a used 1Dmk4 from wex photographic ,it came with a low shutter count in better than described condition (all cameras have actual item photos on there website) ,fully checked out and cleaned before dispatch AND all used bodies from wex come with 12 months warranty same as most new ones .
                  If you do want the security of new I would suggest looking at H.DEW a grey market u.k importer that offers genuine warranty repairs within the u.k and sometimes 2year warranties as well
                  As for wildlife cameras there are only a few bodies worth considering as you high shutter speeds etc so 80D ,7Dmk2 ,1D3 ,1D4 ,1DX

Comment

HDEW are currently doing the 80D for £775 inc. a 3 year warranty, which is very tempting, I have to say.
                    Chris
                    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                    X