New 5D Mk IV file numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 5D Mk IV file numbers

I've just received my new 5D Mk IV and noticed that the first image has a filename of 7L8A6895.CR2 - I would have expected the first file to be named 7L8A0001.CR2 or very near to that. Anyone got any ideas, or is this camera not as NEW as it should be.

Re: New 5D Mk IV file numbers

Was the card empty before you took the shot?

Comment

Possibly not but can't remember. They're all reformatted now though. I take it that existing files on the card would affect the numbering.

Comment

Just done some more digging and it looks like the last image on the card from my old camera was _MG_6894.CR2, so the first number under the 7L8A prefix has followed on from that. Thanks for your help Enigma, and for putting my mind at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Northman View Post
          I take it that existing files on the card would affect the numbering.
          Depends on file numbering options in settings but most people probably have default which is continuous. Camera scans card when inserted or powered on to determine highest existing number. Prefix is ignored when identifying highest number. Enjoy the MkIV, it's an excellent camera!

Comment

I tend to change file numbering so first three digits ident the body it's been taken with - for example 5D3 or 7D2.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I always change mine to my initials just for an extra 'copyright' step.

.DAVID.
              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
              X