Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom,is it worth it and pricing

Hi All,
    Being a relative newcomer to digital photography although I have owned a D400 and a couple of lens for several years I am trying to decide if Lightroom is worth me purchasing.I have no idea about using any form of post processing software and am only wishing to improve my picture for my own entertainment,not even my family are in the least bit interested in the pictures I take so do member feel it is worth the cost ect.

Also I am somewhat confused over the pricing so can membersadvice me on what I should expect to pay,this is one price I have seen

ADOBE Creative Cloud Photography Plan,1 user,1 year £109.99

Thanks in advance

Matthew

Re: Lightroom,is it worth it and pricing

You might want to initially look at Canon's own DPP software ... it's free and might be adequate for your first efforts.

Comment

I use it because I wanted to upgrade from Lightroom 5....to be honest it has become more expensive since I started my subscription and I would also like to know if there is a more cost effective alternative. I use it for the Grad and radial filters and mono conversions. The Canon software only does basic exposure and colour correction with no facility for using a brush or selected area modification.....so not much use for really arty processing. It comes with Photoshop which I don't even use.....Lightroom is excellent though!
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Another potential option is The GIMP which is another free product. It can be a steep learning curve though ...

Comment

DPP is fine for a lot of the more basic adjustments one might want to do.

For anything else I use Affinity Photo, which is currently on offer at £38.99. I can't comment on whether it is better or worse than Photoshop or Lightroom but I reckon it will do pretty much anything you might need as a newcomer to post-processing, as I am.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

To be honest, Adobe CC is looking increasingly less like good value for money. Considering that there is now Affinity, On1, Capture 1 Pro, Luminar, Serif Pro, Rawtherapee, Darktable, Lightzone and a whole host of others out there, I would suggest downloading a few trials and see what you like.

Not only are a lot of those tools on regular updates but unlike CC, you actually have a product you can use once the updates stop...
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

A lot depends on whether your running windows or Mac to if the latter it's probably worth having for storage alone . And going by your user name I would think you want to use it for wildlife and birding.? The alternative is to buy the latest version of elements but you won't then get any upgrades if in fact you'll ever need them ,elements also takes all the needed plug ins ..
              The main problem is where do you store and easily access all the RAW files you are going to take . Depending on where you live I often give demos of post processing to members within reach of the Chester area
              Last edited by the black fox; 28-06-2017, 08:13.

Comment

Just make sure Matthew what ever you buy you learn how to use it.
                Nothing worst than spending lots of money on software then not having a clue how to use it, they are quite daunting at first and just moving sliders up and down will not improve your images

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I have the full Adobe CC on monthly subscription, after previously going through many different versions of the full Photoshop.

If I knew then what I know now, it is a very expensive way of doing things. I only stick with it because I have been on the training courses over the years and I can do everything I want with it, without a second thought. With the benefit of hindsight, I would use Canon DPP for my RAW workflow and Photoshop Elements for any final polishing. DPP is free with your camera and as you don't need the very latest version of Elements, a previous version from an Auction site is just a few pounds.

The important bit is to learn to use it. Depending where you live, there are often training courses available, usually through Camera Clubs, if not there are "Idiots Guides", or YouTube.
                  Colin

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts.
                    I have downloaded DPP and started to "play" and I do quite like the methodology used.I have also downloaded the trial version of Affinity so will start to give that a try but I see already there is no way of adding keywords which I think would be very usefull.
                    I will look up the cost of Elements as you have suggested Colin after I have had a search of Elements on Youtube.
                    Thanks again.

Comment

Matt,

Alll of Adobe's software is available on a trial basis, Including lightroom, I think it's for 30 days, see

Just take your time and find one that suits you, I have the subscription mentioned that is Lightroom and Photoshop. As said the Canon software is very good too.

You can buy the Software off Ebay for lightroom with a licence, for about £70 BTW, I however prefer the monthly version as it keeps itself up to date so you always have the latest version.
                      Last edited by TonyT; 30-06-2017, 11:46.
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Remember the Lightroom subscription includes Photoshop...

You can still buy Lightroom 6 which is currently getting new cameras added, but that may not go on for much longer and new features aren't getting added.

Other Raw processing software you can buy:
                        DXO Optics Pro
                        Capture One
                        Silkypix

Free Raw processing software:
                        DPP4
                        Rawtherapee

Comment

I had to go for LR6 as my older version of PS / ACR wouldn't open the raw files from the 1DX2, I refuse to pay monthly as it's a con - no matter how you look at it it is a rip off. I decided to go for the full 'lifetime' licence version for £119 from Curry's HERE not a true 'stand alone' as every month or so you need to confirm you are who you say you are for updates etc. I guess, annoying but I can just about live with it - just need to learn how to use it now (Scott Kelby's book is a tome and a half but very well written)

.DAVID.
                          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Hmm, considering what we spend on aquireing kit the sub £9/mouth for Adobe CC seems small beer.
                            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Interesting reading on the definition of the lifetime licence

Hi, be-fore it was possible to buy a version of ap-plication for life-time, but now in store we have only monthly and annual sub-scription... I want to know if it's possible in a manner to buy Dream-weaver CC or pre-vious version like CS5, with lifetime license ? Thanks
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X