Thurne Mill sunset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thurne Mill sunset

Recently had a short stay in Norfolk, hoping to see Swallowtail butterfly and get a reasonable sunset with a mill.
    Didn't manage to see a Swallowtail but did get a fairly decent sunset.

John

[IMG]5D-6963.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re: Thurne Mill sunset

That's a lovely sunset John. If I'm being picky a half stride to the left would have given a little breathing space between the sail and the sun. You could also try a 16:9 crop which will make more of the windmill and less of the foreground grass.
    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Thanks for commenting Tony. The half step to the left sounds simple enough but The vegetation on my side of the bank was high and I just managed to find a small gap through which I could take the shot. I did however manage a couple of shots a few minutes earlier, when the sun hadn't quite reached the sails. Only on iPad at present, so will post another in a while.

John

Comment

Nice sky John even the contrails seem to have added to the sky, a good overall scene as Tony said shame about the sail/sun positioning. I shall call back in to see the others.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
          Thanks for commenting Tony. The half step to the left sounds simple enough but The vegetation on my side of the bank was high and I just managed to find a small gap through which I could take the shot.

John
          I know what you mean John. For some of my shoreline LE shots I've had the odd similar comment and I've had to point out that I can do many things but haven't mastered walking on water yet.
          - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Lovely sunset pic, John.

I think the comments are useful for others, as are the replies that it wasn't possible to move, because for some of the lesser experiences togs (and I include myself in those) it could be a case of "Oh yeah, I should have moved or thought about the composition a bit more".
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
              Lovely sunset pic, John.

I think the comments are useful for others, as are the replies that it wasn't possible to move, because for some of the lesser experiences togs (and I include myself in those) it could be a case of "Oh yeah, I should have moved or thought about the composition a bit more".
              It is a good point Chris. I always admire the sports and wildlife togs as they often produce great results with very little time to react. With landscapes you really should be getting the composition absolutely right unless you have issues like John has mentioned. I've been guilty of that before and it gets quite frustrating when you get back and see the image on a computer screen and then think "if only......"
              - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Nice capture John.
                Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Very nice, not easy that walking on water malarky!!
                  Patrick

Find me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136664727@N04/

Comment

Thanks again for comments. Peter, there was me thinking I was the only person in the country who did't mind contrails .
                    Here's another taken a few minutes earlier following Tony's welcome 16:9 crop suggestion. Still taken from exactly the same position but this time I haven't lifted the blacks/shadows. I think I prefer the silhouette look, what do you think?

[IMG]5D-6961.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Ooh, yes, that's better. Excellent!
                      Patrick

Find me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136664727@N04/

Comment

I don't mind contrails either and I also think the second shot is a definite improvement.
                        Chris
                        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Second works both from a compositional and processing perspective. Well done John.
                          Peter

Feel free to browse my
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Well taken John

Tom

Comment

Once again, thanks for the comments.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X