Codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Codec

Just bought a 1Dx mkii and I am finding that I cant view the raw files in windows. I can't seem to find a codec pack for the 1dx mkii on the Canon website, the latest was installed some time ago for my 1D mk4 which was OK.

Imagebrowser wasn't on the disc that came with the camera and downloading it from the Canon website results in the problem others are having where it launches and then hags at 80%. It says new update available when I plug the camera in but it updates and goes through the same loop again, hanging at 80%. I have tried all the fixes, reinstalling Imagebrowser and silverlight to no avail. Zoombrowser, the old file browser launches the wrong dpp and you can't change it.

Anyone any ideas how I can view my raw files please. I have windows 7 64 bit professional.

Thanks

Re: Codec

From a quick look, the Microsoft Codec pack for Windows 7 hasn't been updated since 2014 so doesn't include the mk ii. From DPReview, there are suggestions that FatPictureViewer might be your man: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3955289

If you're using a recent version of LightRoom or Adobe Creative Cloud I would think that would support it - though you can't see them in finder you can browse them either with LR or Bridge?
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks Andy.

That helped me as well as mbugler. I was on Mull and intended to take shots during the day and do my RAW workflow at night. Much easier to take the family laptop rather than my iMac and I ensured that DPP and PS were loaded and working.

When I tried to upload my shots, Windows 7 didn't recognise anything and I couldn't find anything to download that would help. Not a happy bunny, two weeks work to do when I got home.
      Colin

Comment

I use fast picture viewer http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/ and I can view the cr2 files in photo or windows photo viewer also you can see them as thumbnails when you open the folder where they are stored
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

the photo viewer on my windows 8 laptop wont view the raw files from my 7DII, which is one reason why I always shoot RAW + JPEG so I can easily review shots on the bigger screen.

However I have recently bought a windows 10 and on that I can view both the raw and jpegs

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Thanks Andy.

That helped me as well as mbugler. I was on Mull and intended to take shots during the day and do my RAW workflow at night. Much easier to take the family laptop rather than my iMac and I ensured that DPP and PS were loaded and working.

When I tried to upload my shots, Windows 7 didn't recognise anything and I couldn't find anything to download that would help. Not a happy bunny, two weeks work to do when I got home.
            One of the reasons I changed to Mac many years ago ,it's a pity you can't view raw files on a i.pad as that would be a dream come true ,I just can't afford a MacBook just for holiday use .so like you I have to wait

Comment

I've used Irfanview in the past seems to be able to show pretty much any file format.

Free too.

Just tested with 7D2 files and works fine.

Can't remember app but have one on my android tablet that shows RAW files too.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                One of the reasons I changed to Mac many years ago ,it's a pity you can't view raw files on a i.pad as that would be a dream come true ,I just can't afford a MacBook just for holiday use .so like you I have to wait
                Apple isn't perfect. While I can view X-Pro 2 RAF files, I can'\t view the lossless compressed format and the X-Pro 2 has been out long enough for Apple to have added support.
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Link for Irfanview

Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Big thanks Andy and all

Found Fast Picture Viewer Codec pack 3.8, downloaded the trial version and it worked a treat. All my RAW files are now showing their thumbnails in windows so I can see what they are and delete as necessary. Perfect. Just upgraded to full version. For ten dollars its a steal. Thanks Again

Mark

Comment

Excellent :-)

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                        Link for Irfanview

http://www.irfanview.com/
                        Another for irfanview, have been using it for years - spend a little time with it and it really is a terrific little programme.

.DAVID.
                        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Looks like there is an issue with fast picture viewer. I mentioned that I purchased the Codec pack. However. The promised email with instructions within 2 hours didn't materialise. All emails on their website bounces. The computer when booting up now has a reminder that I have x days left of the field trial left. Looks like I am going to have to contact PayPal to get a refund. Shame. It looked so good.

Comment

Working...
                          X