200D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 200D

Ah, my bad. There are two ways to do it on a 7D2. One is with a 9 point block where you can see the 9 points and move them as a block and a second where the AF points are hidden until they lock and you can move the prime AF point within the block. In the latter, there's what looks like a bracket around the set of points that are in use.

Yes, all very confusing.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I can manage with just 9 points for most of what I do....it's better than using the centre and then recomposing. I wouldn't expect fast tracking at this price. There needs to be a lot on the touchscreen because of expectations of phone camera users.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Having originally raised the issue of a/f points, it does just seem a backward step to have only 9, of which only the centre one is a cross type. Compare, for example the 750D (still available, at a lower price than the 200D) which has 19, all cross type. Whether one finds these useful or not, the low spec on a new model does seem odd.

I have my doubts about attracting Smartphone users. Many people I know would consider £579 to be an "expensive" camera, price very similar to a high end phone with which they can do a lot more than take photos! Also, anything that won't slip into a pocket they regard as "too big". SLRs will still primarily be for the "enthusiast" market, even if Canon markets some of its models as "for beginners" rather an insult to the cameras which are all extremely capable in knowledgeable hands.

I'll still probably get one of these myself, though, trade in my older 100D and keep the newer one.
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I can't disagree with that.

I think there is a market of phone users....who don't want to be enthusiasts but want a bit of the proper 'camera action'. A Guy in Currys recently told me that bloggers go for the 100D....maybe thats it.
          There are also some trendy young things who like to use proper cameras....often the trendier styles of Fuji and Oly as they style that market.

I saw a young guy (maybe early 20s) out in the lakes with his parents....trying to make the flash work on his 1300D for a fill in shot of his parents, but he couldn't work it out...he had them posing for ages. I didn't get involved or offer any advice rationalising that if he'd spent as much time reading his manual as he obviously had tending his immaculate clothing and trimmed beard and leather accessorised hat then he wouldn't have had the problem.....was that a bit uncharitable?
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

....was that a bit uncharitable?
            I would have done the same Brian.

Partly for your reasons, partly because it may have embarrassed him in front of his parents and partly because it may have embarrassed me, because I don't know how to do it on a 1300D.

Mostly the last reason I think.
            Colin

Comment

I work on the basis that focuc and speed are the two most important functions in a camera. I regularly use offset pocal point to get the composition correct of in a landscape you may not want a large tree central.

Without the flexability there are limitations.

I have a D6 that has 3 focus points - left,righ and centre - whilst the picture quality is good (with modern lens) it is very difficule to get even a decent landscape.

With the 7D2 the 65 point give be the extra fleibily if I need it
              ef-r

Comment

Working...
              X